KingArthur13th's avatar

KingArthur13th

• Dead Moon Castle
  • Joined Sep 20, 2012

Attack on Titan

Attack on Titan, by far the most hyped anime series this year but unlike Sword Art Online, it is actually quite well deserving of most of the hype. Attack on Titan is a creation of a much darker shounen anime, a amazing survival series that just drags you in. Attack on Titan knows how to deliver the suspense and horror while getting you to fear for the character's safety. With the appearance of each Titan, you start to think about who's going to die now, how will the survivors escape, will someone bail out and go crazy? The only real negatives to point out in this show are the high number of still shots and slow story pacing which may be a hindrance to some viewers. The story centers around Eren Jaeger who wishes for vengeance against the Titans, a species of creatures that have been feeding on humankind for a little over a hundred years. The progression of each episode are pretty drawn out but surprisingly, the anime follows the manga with absolute accuracy except for a few short anime only moments.

Let's start right off with the bad news. As stated, Attack on Titan actually has great animation but it seems that there were a few problems over at Production I.G while they were animating this series. Mid season, more animators had to be brought in and combine this with the fact that the studio had to keep enough money stashed away in order to animate those glorious 3DMG scenes and Titan battle scenes, we're left with a couple more than average number of still shots for any given anime. For many that may not be a problem so lets move on the second issue with this series which is its slow pacing. Attack on Titan is a suspenseful series so keeping you on the edge of your seat is necessary and in order to do so, they drag out some interesting moments. Situations such as inspirational speeches, scenes of fear and mass hysteria, and moments of pure hopelessness can take up a good chunk of an episode. On a side note, some viewers have been turned off by Eren's constant angry mode which never seems to turn off but I really have nothing against that.

Now then, onto to the soundtrack. The Attack on Titan OST was produced by Hiroyuki Sawano, the guy who composed the Guilty Crown and Blue Exorcist soundtracks so we're already off to a good start. I've bought the album already and it's definitely as great as I thought it was gong to be. Sawano strikes again! The opening song, "Guren no Yumiya by Linked Horizon" has become such a hit that it has officially taken over "Gullie's Theme" as "the song that goes with everything." I still have yet to come across an "Attack on ....." video that hasn't put a smile on my face. The ending song, "The Beautiful Cruel World by Yoko Hikasa" is as beautiful as it's title. The second opening and ending songs have yet to be released so I have no comment on them but I hope they're as good as their predecessors.

Finally we come to the characters which I will also include a little something about the Titans. First the Titans. LMAO, I don't know if  Hajime Isayama (manga creator) himself designed each and every Titan individually or he got someone else to do it for him but god dammit these creatures are just too awesome. Each Titan seems to be made specifically for meme purposes. There are just so many Titans to date that each have there own group of followers just because of their respective memes. Who ever designed the Titans must have been having a lot of fun doing so because I know I would have.

Okay now it's time for the characters. The only names you'll need to remember in this series for now are the main trio, Eren, Mikasa, Armin and maybe the other top ten students. Each of the top ten members get a chance to shine and each in their own way add a little something more to the series, especially Jean who is struggling with being a leader. The Attack on Titan cast struggle with their roles as military soldiers fighting in a war that seems practically hopeless. They're challenged mentally, physically and emotionally which after a short time becomes incredibly exhausting as their hopes are constantly brick walled by the coming onslaught of the Titans. All in all, the cast of Attack on Titan are pretty good, each equipped with an amazing voice actor.

9.5/10 animation
8.5/10 characters
9.2/10 overall

ThomdrilMerrilin says...

Character and story, rated so high. You didnt even explain why you rated it so high. I think this animes pretty much rubbish. This shows just like Claymore, focusing your everything so you could get a revange on certain someone. Silly idea from the start.

And, some characters are acting so lame and irrational per excellence.

Aug 1, 2013
RingoStarr1991 says...

I'm glad you ended up liking the show. While I loved it as well, I ended up dropping it around episode 5 to read the manga instead.

Jul 5, 2013