KingArthur13th's avatar

• Dead Moon Castle
  • Joined Sep 20, 2012

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Dec 24, 2012

My Little Monster, a romantic comedy based off of a manga of the same name revolves around a intelligent studybug named Shizuku Mizutani and a naive short tempered boy named Haru Yoshida. Shizuku is quite emotionless and spends most of her time studying considering good grades to be the most important thing in her life which keeps her from making friends. Haru is a natural born genius but is quite naive and quick to get violent which scares off many potential friends. Shizuku happens to be the first true friend to Haru as well as his first love but Shizuku considers romance as nothing more then a distraction from studying. As the series progresses and the two of them become closer, Shizuku becomes a bit more accepting of romance and Haru becomes a little less violent and manages to gain more friends. After a couple of ups and downs as well as Shizuku's fight between her obsession for studying and her romantic feelings for Haru, we get to see a cute and budding romance. Tonari no Kaibutsu-Kun has more romance then comedy and the comedy primarily comes from the character's various reactions to strange or uncomfortable situations. Even the romance is somewhat screwy as the potential love rivals like Kenji and Oshima aren't really put into account. They're just extra characters that are in love with the main characters but nothing actually happens with them. Kenji never attempts to seduce Shizuku or break up the relationship she has with Haru and Oshima never actually tries to gain any kind of ground with Haru in which case neither of them deserves the title of love rivals. The only real friction between our main duo is Shizuku being forced to choose between her extreme studying habit or spending time with Haru which annoys both characters. The ending was pretty pointless and we never see anything of the potential love triangle with Natsume, Sasayan and Misawa which only leaves you with a giant question mark over your head, not to mention we never know of the past situation between Haru and his older brother Yuuzan which gave them a very troubled relationship. The series has a pretty clear opening for a second season (especially since the manga is still ongoing) but I wouldn't watch it anyway considering how the first season went.

7.5/10 animation
6.8/10 overall

kio3459 says...

i felt the same way... I liked it but.. its wasnt as good as other rom-comedy animes that I've seen before or have come out recently.  I feel like the 2nd season will answer more questions (potential love triangle with Natsume, Sasayan and Misawa, Oshima and Kenji making their moves on the main characters).

So far, this anime feels like the begining/intro to something bigger and better but for now I'm rating it pretty much the same as you.  If it does get another season where some things get answered then I'll change my rating.. but for now a 6/10 or 7/10 seems fair to me.  It was entertaining, it made me laugh a couple of times.. heres hoping another season will come soon.

Dec 25, 2012