KillerZEK87's avatar

KillerZEK87

• Arizona
  • Joined Sep 17, 2012

ef - a tale of memories was a surprisingly good series that normally is told in 20 plus episodes but manages to tell it in only 12. With a cast of good, memorable characters this series is one of the best Anime dramas to ever have been made.

Two stories go on simultaneously and both are pretty well done. Each character is likeable and you want to root for each one. The love triangle between Hiro, Kei, and Miyako is pretty solid and not too bad but what makes ef – a tale of memories really stand out and really good is the story arc of Renji and Chihiro. This to me is what made the series more than just average but memorable. Chihiro suffers from short term memory loss and writes in her dairy her memories of what happens every day, I couldn’t even imagine how crazy that would be to fall in love with someone who overnight could easily forget all about you. I absolutely loved this story and it ends in a very tearful manner.

Not only is the animation beautiful to look at but it has a very artful style to it that makes it an all-around enjoyable experience, it’s something that has to be seen to be believed. I couldn’t take my eyes of off each scene whether it was the intro, the episodes themselves, or all of the above. Just a very good mix of animation and artful style.

Sound is pretty good too, the music sets the mood for each scene and we as the audience is pulled into that. The voice actors are done nicely as well, do not by any means watch the dub; watch the sub instead, the emotions are done much better than in the dub.

Overall I am not usually a huge fan of Anime dramas but someone referred this to me and I’m glad they did because I enjoyed it very much. It’s a drama with characters who are likeable and engaging, the story is familiar but with a twist, and the animation is something to be seen. Go out and watch this it’ll be worth it.

P.S. there is a sequel called ef - a tale of melodies……yeah stay away from that. It does not even live up to what memories is in any way, shape, or form.