KillerZEK87's avatar

• Arizona
  • Joined Sep 17, 2012

Afro Samurai

Oct 5, 2012

This Anime series is nothing but pure bloody action told in 5 episodes, and quite frankly there’s nothing wrong with that. You know it’s not every day that there is an African American to have the leading role in an Anime but the fact that Afro is voice by Samuel Mutha Fuckin L. Jackson is just simply awesome.

The story is easy to follow and not too confusing. Afro seeks revenge on Justice, the man who killed his father, Justice wears the number one head band and the only person who can kill a number one is a number two. Therefore, Afro has the number two head band and fights through wave after wave of enemies to get to him. Pretty simple and fun.

The animation is what you’d expect. It’s fasted paced and intense with bloody spewing everywhere. Nothing really ground breaking, it’s just basic stuff you’d come to expect.

What can I say about the sound other than Samuel L Jackson is the fucking man. He plays characters: Afro being the serious samurai seeking revenge and Ninja Ninja who really is there for comic relief. It never really says how Ninja Ninja came to be with Afro but oh well, we get some great comedy from him, and he can get annoying sometimes but not too much. Justice voiced by Ron Perlman is another really cool sounding villain but unfortunately he is only in one episode and then he’s gone; he left me wanting more and Ron should get into doing more Anime voice acting, I mean he’s got a hell of a voice for it.

Other than Afro and Justice pretty much all the other characters are both generic and stock. The brothers and Jinno just added to the body count for Afro and nothing more. But in this sense since the series is only 5 episodes long I let these characters slide and enjoy Afro in his badass-idy (If that’s even a fucking word lol).

Overall don’t go in expect a brilliant plot, just enjoy it for what it is: an all-out balls to the walls fun time with a samurai voiced by Samuel L Jackson, what more could you ask for? And the fact that this series is really short you could finish this series quickly and leave feeling excited.