Kari5

Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Bonds Beyond Time

29 AUG
2013

Plot:

The cool thing about the story is, using time travel, this movie contains three Yu-Gi-Oh protagonists (from different series). It's a VERY cool plot idea that any Yu-Gi-Oh fan would be interested in. I thought it sounded awesome, and it was the only reason I decided to watch this movie. Unfortuately, the movie was poorly made.

The plot is simple; a mysterious character from the future decides be wants to erase the Duel Monsters card game from history; so he decides to go back in time and kill Pegasus. Our three heroes band together to stop him and save their previous card game. Ta-da, that's it! The entire thing feels more like a special than a full movie; a result of its many flaws. The biggest of which is the number of plot holes in the film; there were so many it was really distracting and it pulled me out of the story. Most of the plot holes revolved around the time travel aspect, but the rest of the plot didn't make much sense either. Just looking at the plot, this is a horrible movie.

The movie mostly focused on the Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds universe, with apperences from one character from GX and a few from the original series. I feel like if the movie was longer, many more characters could have been involved, making this a more complex movie. Unfortunately, the focus was just on 4 main characters (including the villain). The villain was extremely 2-dimensional and boring. His back-story was pretty much non-exsistant and the reasons for his attack on Pegasus were weak. The main characters were their regular selves (although Jaden felt really out of place and randomly thrown in) but they constantly insisted on using every "yay friendship!", "we're now best buds!", or "our love of this childrens card game will make us win!" types of comments ALL THE TIME. It was RIDICULOUS. I haven't seen dialogue that bad in ages!

Conclusion:

Although I was expecting something more serious, it was still a fun watch. However, with the never-ending list of problems in this movie, I can't give it more than a 5/10. I really wish it wasn't this bad, and I wouldn't mind a well-made sequel.

Other Anime Reviews by Kari5