KStrz's avatar

• Joined Feb 14, 2013
  • ? / M

Another

Feb 19, 2013

The story revolves around Kouichi Sakikabara, a transfer student from Tokyo into the 9th grade class 3 of Yomi North Junior High (In Japan it seems junior high lasts until 9th grade). He is forced to miss the first month of school, due to a collapsed lung, but when he arrives, he begins to befriend a mysterious girl who, it seems, that only he can see. The other students would act strangely when he began mentioning the girl in question, uttering strange sayings, like "You shouldn't mess with things that aren't real" and discouraging further contact with her. Sakikabara chooses not to heed these warnings, supposing that she is simply being bullied, however, the students soon begin experiencing a curse of sorts, leading to the death of classmates. The story beings here; uncovering what is causing these deaths and how it may be stopped.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has to be one of my favorite anime of all time, the story is constantly evolving and your perspective on characters is changing just as fast. The story has a snowball effect, starting out relatively slow, but when it starts picking up, it advances pretty quickly. I have seen much criticism over the fact that the story is rather slow at first, only giving bits of information at a time, however, I found this to be one of the factors that helped to pull me into the series. My only qualm is that there are a large number of characters in the story (although out of necessity, as you cannot have a classroom with just a few people), that it may be difficult to keep track of who is who at first, however, you are able to see the children change mentally over time.

The animation was of fantastic quality, just look at a couple pictures onine for an idea. There is little music apart from the opening and closing themes, however, there are ambiant noises that build in moments of anticipation, which I thought was very fitting for this type of anime and rather enjoyed it's inclusion.

After watching the OVA episode, I literally broke down and cried. I haven't sobbed that hard in many years. I don't want to say what caused this, as it would spoil part of the story, but I give this story the highest of reccommendations.

9.5/10 story