Joyous's avatar

Joyous

• Right behind you!
  • Joined Oct 2, 2011

Alright, first review for an anime movie with no reviews! Sounds like a match made in anime heaven for me.

Right, so You Are Umasou is one of the more unique ideas I've come across in any entertainment media. Until now DBZ was the only anime to have dinosaurs that I have seen, and they weren't exactly a major part of the series. Add intense dreams, even more intense fight seens and a story of morals and You Are Umasou.

I gave story a 9 and not a 10 for one reason, and that is that the actual story is rather over done and doesn't give great room for surprise in and of itself (though there are plenty of ways you will be surprised). Other than that, the story is as unique as an kung-fu dinosaur anime can deliver and includes plenty of plot twists (namely Umasou's entrance).

Animation gets a 10 out of 10 easy. It's different, it's easy to look at and most important for me, it avoids the static talking often present in anime. Everything moves and fight sceens are some of the best, making you want to start Rocky/dino training. On a side note, something about the look of this anime looks strangly like Gurren Lagann, I suppose the story is similar to it also, in any case watching this made me think of Gurren, one of my favorite animes of all time.

Sound is fine, it could have been infuriating (as in odd dinosaur noises made by human actors... that would have been annoying) but looked very natural. I'm not sure if this movie has a dub, probably not, but the sub was great. Again, nothing to complain about really, but not exactly stand out.

Characters are both dynamic and static. Some change from Heart's (the main character) interactions while others, like his mother, remain the same and honestly should because they fill necessary roles. I don't want to say too much in case someone reads this to decide whether or not to watch the movie, but bad guys in Umasou are really good bad guys, and those are the only kind of baddies that make for a good fight.

Overall, it is excellent, certainly one of my favorite anime movies if not my very favorite.

AirCommodore says...

You beat me! I've had a review mostly written for a couple of months, but am having trouble finishing it up >_<

Anyway.

I totally agree. This movie is excellent, and Umasou is the cutest thing ever <3

Dec 18, 2011