Joyous's avatar

• Right behind you!
  • Joined Oct 2, 2011

Alright, first review for an anime movie with no reviews! Sounds like a match made in anime heaven for me.

Right, so this series is one of the more unique ideas I've come across in any entertainment media. Until now DBZ was the only anime to have dinosaurs that I have seen, and they weren't exactly a major part of the series. Add intense dreams, even more intense fight sceens and a story of morals and you have You Are Umasou.

I gave story a 9 and not a 10 for one reason: the actual story is rather over the top and doesn't give much room for surprise in and of itself (though there are plenty of ways you will be surprised). Other than that, the story is as unique as a kung-fu dinosaur anime can deliver and includes plenty of plot twists, even if these are predictable.

Animation gets a 10 out of 10 easy. It's different, it's easy to look at and most important for me, it avoids the static talking often present in anime. Everything moves and fight sceens are top notch, making you want to start Rocky/dino training.

Sound is fine, it could have been infuriating (as in odd dinosaur noises made by human actors... that would have been annoying) but sounded very natural. I'm not sure if this movie has a dub, probably not, but the sub was great. Again, nothing to complain about really, but not exactly stand out. Atmospheric, but not memorable.

Characters are both dynamic and static. Some change after interacting with Heart while others, like his mother, remain the same in order to fill necessary roles. I don't want to say too much in case someone reads this to decide whether or not to watch the movie, but bad guys in Umasou are really good bad guys, and those are the only kind of baddies that make for a good fight.

Overall, it is excellent, certainly one of my favorite anime movies.

AirCommodore says...

You beat me! I've had a review mostly written for a couple of months, but am having trouble finishing it up >_<

I totally agree. This movie is excellent, and Umasou is the cutest thing ever <3

Dec 18, 2011