JoeAnimated's avatar

• Joined May 21, 2010
  • ? / M

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Dec 30, 2012

Quite frankly, I didn’t know what to expect with this anime. Other than the basic synopsis, and other positive generalities, I didn’t know what I was getting into. And, it being a Noitamina show, the odds of it being genuinely good were 50/50. So with reckless abandonment, I marathoned through the 11 episode series.

Early in this series,  I was worried that this would end up being an angsty preteen story, where in the end, everything would turn out ok. But as the story kept going, I realized it wasn’t it. The writing and directing tried to capture the angst and worry not only of our characters, but the world around them as well. The effects of the earthquake were drawn with some semblance of realism. The story does nothing to hide the fact that there is death and despair around them. But in converse, there is always a steady feeling of hope. Hope that they will make it back home, and be reunited with their families.

Which is why the ending catches you off guard. Despite this being a 3-year-old show, I’m not going to post spoilers to ending here. Sufficed  to say, the ending was very moving. And in the spirit of what the original charter of Noitamina stood for, this show fits. It goes against the anime notion that every story has a happy ending. That, in an event of this magnitude, there will be loss.

From beginning to end, this anime was great. From watching Mirai grow up in tough circumstances, to the beautifully animated scenes of destruction, this show was well-balanced and wonderful. My recommendation. to anyone  who decides to watch, is to pick up a box of Kleenex when you get to episode 9, because the ending will bring a tear to your eye.