Jestershock's avatar

• Joined Jul 27, 2009
  • 48

Midori Days

on Jun 25, 2011

Having read the description, I thought this was going to be a long chain of masturbation jokes. As it turned out, there was only one gag like that in episode 12, and that was nothing more that a fairly cute word-play.

You REALLY have to suspend some disbelief watching this one. Reasonable questions regarding physics, anotomy and digestive tracts are best left unasked. But if you can just relax and go with the flow, this is a wonderfully cute show. The humor is pretty well done, especially when you delve into characters' fantasies and pre-expectations. A surprisingly nice resolution left me... See full review

Mouse

on Jun 25, 2011

This one had me laughing throughout, but usually not intentionally. A lot of fun tease and the characters are cute. Great for sitting around and giving the MST3K treatment. Snark it with someone you love.

Monster

on Jun 25, 2011

This show not only spans eleven years and a great deal of Eastern Europe, but also the highest nobility and lowest depravity of human character. I haven't personally seen anything that matches this anime in scope. This is a huge story, with no wasted characters or episodes.

Tenma is a fascinating hero, flawed but striving to make up for past wrongs. He's completely admirable, and this shines out all the brighter against the fearsomeness of his adversary. Without exageration, the Monster in this story is far and away the most effective and disturbing villains I've come across in years. There are... See full review

Magikano

on Jun 25, 2011

This show has some cute character design and dancing chibis in the ending credits. That is ALL that can be said in favor of this show. Some of the gags are funny the first few times they get used, but they beat every joke to death and beyond. The ecchi sprikled throughout the show doesn't make up the idiot premise and dire lack of plot. Worst of all, though, is the ending that will actually make you curse aloud and tempt you to throw something hard and heavy at the screen. Be warned: suckage dwells here.

Kobato.

on Jun 25, 2011

I love this show! I was surprised by how much I was sucked in to this sweet, seemingly simple story. Near the end, I was eagerly anticipating each episode, really looking forward to seeing how it would all work out.

Kobato herself is the type of anime character I always end up cheering for. She's sweet, naive, a bit clumsy and dumb, but so very hard working and determined to make everyone around her happy. I have to say her character design is one of the most lovely I've seen in the past year, and the voice actress delivers so much personality, she's almost instantly endearing. She easily carries... See full review

Kampfer

on Jun 25, 2011

Not a bad comedy with a whole lot of ecchi and just a little bit of action. Actually, the whole proxy fighting thing becomes it's own joke early on. Regardless of the fact that blades and bullets fly all over the place, you're not going to see any blood. Boobs, though, you get to see plenty. It's always funny when girls are portrayed as salivating horn-dogs, especially when it doesn't seem to matter whether it's a male or female they're getting it on with. Are all girls in Japan bi? Anime in general and Kampfer in specific seems to want you to think so.

The gender-bending is played up for laughs... See full review

Jigoku Shoujo

on Jun 25, 2011

This is powerhouse stuff. Supernatural anime doesn't get much better than this. The various stories are all well written, drawing us in to what at first is a tragic pattern. Slowly, the repeating themes change subtly, exposing a deeper story. The ending ties everything up in a way that's both heart-breaking and somehow hopeful.

If you're looking for a variety of stories that will make you think and question, this is an excellent series.

Ga-Rei -Zero-

on Jun 25, 2011

I'm going to buy this anime when it comes out on DVD. It plays out almost like a classic Greek tragedy, delivering one hell of a compelling story. The unique style of foreshadowing set the tone for this show that kept me wondering as I watched. And the relationships carried the story. Really solid character work going on here. Definitely one of the best supernatural dramas I've seen in a while.

FLCL

on Jun 25, 2011

Uncontrolled, frenetic, spastic anime. When it's done you'll feel like someone worked you over with a lead pipe, but you'll be smiling through your broken teeth. If you like wild rides, this one's a hoot!

Chu-Bra!!

on Jun 25, 2011

Charming and sweet, this isn't the ecchi-fest you think it's going to be. A warmhearted friendship show, Chu-Bra!! is a light comedy about girls dealing with puberty and learning from each other how to deal with the awkwardness of those years.

I really liked the characters and the relationships that grew up between them. The lead girl is delightfully quirky and carries the show well. There isn't much of an over-arching story to speak of until the end, which fealt a little forced. Being more a slice-of-life anime, it didn't suffer much from the lack of plot. The theme music was fun, and the... See full review

Chrome Shelled Regios

on Jun 25, 2011

So many great ideas went into this story, but so few of them were played out. It's sad when a show has so much potential and then very little comes of it.

I persevered through all the disjointed, sloppy story-telling in the hopes that everything would be woven together into a satisfying, or at least understandable, whole. It didn't in the least. In the end, though they kept hinting at the big, amazing back-story that must exist somewhere out there in the cosmos, I was left with the impression that they were just making stuff up as they went along.

The fights were fun to watch, and... See full review

Boogiepop Phantom

on Jun 25, 2011

Reading a plot summery about this show gives you more story than watching all 12 episodes. Someone put a lot of work into this series, but in the effort to weave a tapestry of interconnected lives it helps to have characters that stand out or can at least be identified as individuals. Every character was so bland that they blurred over each other, making the entire story even more vague than it was intended to be. The complete lack of ending in the last episode just seemed to underscore how little there was to the over-arching story.

With so much great stuff out there to watch, I can't... See full review

3.5/10 overall

Afro Samurai

on Jun 25, 2011

If you have a friend who's on the fence as to whether to get into anime or not, show them this. It's short, but tells the whole story well. The art style is eye-catching and the action has that kinetic feel that makes you lean forward in your seat to catch every move. Jackson is great doing the two voices and you get the impression he had a great time doing this.

I had to go out and buy this one. It's all-around quality anime

Strike Witches TV

on Jun 27, 2010

First off, considering none of the girls in this universe seem to wear pants, our main heroine runs around basically dressed like Donald Duck. That aside, this one's a treat. There's not a lot of surprises here (aside from the occasional crotch-shots), but the up-beat spirit of this show carries you right along well. Our main character is one of those sweeties with an over-abundance of heart and determination that makes you want to cheer her on. The animation is pretty (flight scenes are gorgeous!), characters are very cute, and the music is one for the iPods. If you're looking for a nice break between... See full review

Piano

on Jun 27, 2010

So Miu, what's a nice girl like you doing in a yawn-fest like this? This is a slice-of-life anime that's so damn boring that you have to be careful it doesn't turn into a slice-of-wrist anime. No plot ever rears its ugly head to threaten the cute, precious tedium that is our heroine's life. Without exagerating, and pardon the spoiler, but the most exciting thing that ever happened in the show was in episode 2 when somebody let the cat out. My wife had concocted an entire sub-plot by episode 3 in an unconcious attempt to inject the anime with anything resembling a story. When you're making up stuff in your... See full review

Paranoia Agent

on Jun 27, 2010

This anime had me from moment the credits started rolling: people laughing with abandon as the world collapsed around them. I have to suggest not watching this alone. Not because it's scary, but as the story progressed I really appreciated having someone to talk to about everything that was going on. The show, ultimately, has a very simple message, but it gives you many different angles and perspectives to see that message from. Almost all of the various stories turn out to be interconnected; in fact, the entire series comes full circle beautifully. Not many animes succeed in delivering a satisfying... See full review