Jehowi's avatar

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Sep 26, 2013

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Storyline

6. I don’t really feel like reviewing this Anime, but I don’t want to give up my habit of comment upon every series I watch. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 takes place in... Tokyo, and it follows the story of two children who were in the capital of Japan at the time an earthquake strikes. The makers tried to create a realistic story about what happens when a disaster like this happens, and they did a pretty decent job. People turn into pigs and their natural instinct - survival of the fittest - starts to get the upper hand when things like this happen. So the kids can find themselves lucky they meet up with a woman who has to return the same way they do and actually bothers to help them to get home safely.

Plot and pace

5. For an Anime with merely 11 episodes, this series certainly lacks progression. Sometimes you just don’t feel like you’re the victim of an earthquake. And besides, it takes them a freaking long time to get out of Tokyo...

Cliffhangers

6. The show doesn’t have any cliffhangers at the ending of the chapters, but it would be unfair to say that the show is absent of any tension or dramatic events. They could’ve done better, though.

Satisfying ending

7. The ending is alright. It fits the story well and doesn’t leave you unsatisfied.

Rewatchability

6. I wouldn’t watch this again, but that’s because it’s not an Anime I totally enjoyed. Others might watch it again.

7. The characters are very recognizable: we have this sweet little brother-guy and his older sister who’s getting in her puberty that try to get home while protecting each other as much as they can. There’s the older mother-like figure that just happens to feel sorry for the children and decides to help them to get home.

Conversations

7. The conversations are short and clear and never leave much room for interpretation.

Art Style

7. Can’t say much about the art style either. It’s not bad, but it doesn’t rise up to be amazing either.

Setting

6. Everything you see in this show, except for the first part of the Anime, happens in the city of Tokyo. Some scenes take place inside certain buildings or at a non-building scenery like a park, but that’s all you can count on.

Music and sounds

6. Nothing special either. The voice-acting is alright, and so is the music, but it still doesn’t  get above any other mediocre Anime.

Overall score