Jehowi

21 JUL
2013

Vampire Knight

Storyline

7. Hmm… Vampires, where have we heard this before? And it gets even better: these vampires go to school as well! Vampire Knight is all about a school with ‘normal’ people who attend lessons during the day, and their vampire counterparts who go to school during the night. You follow the life of Yuuki, the adopted child of the headmaster and responsible for maintaining order in the day-class. She was saved from vampires by a pureblood vampire called Kaname, who’s attending school in the night-class. She gets the aid of Zero, a guy who’s also been adopted by the headmaster after his parents got murdered by vampires. For some reason, Yuuki’s blood seems to be very appealing to vampires. This guarantees some heated moments in the series.

Plot and pace

7. With only 13 episodes per season, you won’t get bored quickly if you enjoy this kind of anime. The plot was predictable and lacked action. You would think vampires wouldn’t let themselves killed so easily, but apparently they do… I still rate it a 7 because of some nice twists inside the series.

Cliffhangers

9. We can’t complain about the cliffhangers here. All of the episodes have an open ending that make you want to find out how it ends.

Satisfying ending

6. The ending was nothing special. You’d have to watch the first episode of the second season to find out how all of the events actually turned out in the end, but if you don’t, you’d be left in the dark about it.

Rewatchability

6. If you’re a fan: yes. If not: nope. I own the manga because I like the drawing style and it followed up the anime nicely, but the series just lack the action you’d expect from a vampire anime.

7. The vampires are beautiful and mysterious, the human schoolboys and girls are mostly dumb and annoying. Yuuki is a sweet and innocent girl who wouldn’t live for a long time when I ever get to write the scenario of a vampire movie, and Zero is a guy I could sympathize with.

Conversations

7. The conversations are alright. Never deep, always understandable.

Art Style

9. It’s a very modern anime with a great art style. The vampires look really pretty and so do the main human characters.

Setting

6. 90% of the series take place on the school grounds. The night-class dorm could’ve been made a lot more interesting.

Music and sounds

7. The sound never bothered me. The intro song was alright. Nothing above-average, though.

Overall score