Jehowi's avatar

Pokemon

Jan 5, 2013

Pokémon Season 1: Indigo League

Storyline

9. We all grew up with this story. Ash, a boy from Pallet Town, turns ten years old and on that age he can get a Pokémon from professor Oak to start his journey to become a Pokémon Master. To succeed in his quest, he has to earn eight badges from Gym Leaders all over the region and compete in the Pokémon league at Indigo Plateau, where the best trainers will wait to challenge him. I don’t have to say more about this, everyone knows Pokémon!

Plot and pace

6. Although the plot is loved by many, especially the pace can be tedious. The only episodes that really matter in this series, are the ones where he catches a Pokémon - and Ash fails at catching them -, the ones where he has his gym battles and the Pokémon League episodes. You can easily skip the rest of the episodes without missing anything. Those are just meant to introduce new Pokémon to the fans, but if you’re a grownup Pokémon know-it-all like me, you can just skip these. I remember watching them twice a week as a kid, but nowadays they’re not amusing anymore. Also, each episode has the same routine: they meet someone who has a problem and help him get it fixed, while meeting Team Rocket and kicking their ass. You will notice this sequence over and over again.

Cliffhangers

6. There are few cliffhangers throughout the story. As mentioned before, must problems get solved at the end of an episode, or Ash earns a badge and moves on to the next town. There is the part where they are on the S.S. Anne which sank at the bottom of the sea and you’ll have to wait until the next episode to find out if they manage to escape -.- and there’s one episode where Magmar fires a fire blast at Pikachu, who’s standing on the far end of a volcano, and that’s about it folks! So don’t watch Pokémon if you want to enjoy an exciting storyline.

Satisfying ending

9. The ending might not satisfy everyone, but let’s just say Ash gets what he deserves :) and for its target group the ending is okay.

Rewatchability

8. Some battles are nice to watch and if you’re a fan like me, you won’t forget about them. I still remember where I was when I watched the first episode of Pokémon that ever got aired in Belgium ^^ and out of nostalgia reasons I started watching again from scratch. And guess what? I remember each and every episode!

8. We all get to sympathize with the characters. They all have there own characteristics: Ash is the ambitious and self-assured one that still has to learn a lot about Pokémon. Misty is the caring and stubborn one and Brock is knowledgeable and can’t keep away from the girls he meets. Other notable characters are Team Rocket, Professor Oak and Gary ‘motherfucking’ Oak!

Conversations

7. The conversations are never difficult, nor are the problems they encounter, though you’ll have to use your imagination to accept them :D

Art Style

8. It was very nice for its time, a bit cartoonish from time to time, for example the tears they shred seem to fall like a stream of water.

Setting

9. Ash is traveling the region of Kanto and each place you’ll see will be different because of that.

Music and sounds

9. I wanna be the very best, that no one ever was… ‘nuff said!

Overall score

79/10

Pokémon Season 2: Orange League

Storyline

9. The story still maintains its originality. On his road to become a Pokémon Master, Ash runs an errand for professor Oak to visit professor Ivy at the Orange Islands to get a special golden Pokéball called the GS Ball. On his way, Ash challenges the four gym leaders of the Orange isles in order to challenge Drake, the master of the Orange League.

Plot and pace

7. The plot is a bit more varied. The gym battles are all different, the Orange League final is one of my favorite episodes ever and there are less filler episodes.

Cliffhangers

5. Pokémon still lacks cliffhangers. This season only has one at the Orange League battle, where Lapras and Gengar both use an attack and their attacks cause an explosion that makes it unable to see who survived it.

Satisfying ending

10. Since there won’t be anything in the next seasons to be cheering about, I’d say this one deserves a ten for now…

Rewatchability

7. I miss the nostalgia feeling I had while watching season 1. Traveling around on those islands can be repetitive, I guess. If you like Pokémon you will probably watch at least some of these episodes again.

8. They’re mostly the same, however a new character called Tracy will be introduced somewhere In the middle of the series. Just forget about him because he won’t be missed when he leaves again in season three.

Conversations

7. It’s the same as in season 1: decent, clear conversations that will never get to be incomprehensible or difficult to follow.

Art Style

8. Not much has changed since season 1.

Setting

8. Ash is still traveling around, but this time on islands that often look quite the same, and you’ll get to see a lot of sea throughout the series. Other than that it’s still variable.

Music and sounds

9. The music remains epic. The Pokémon sounds are nice, as is the English voice-acting.

Overall score