JAhU's avatar

• Somwhere in the very middle of Europe ^_^
  • Joined Jul 10, 2007

Ano Natsu de Matteru

Dec 19, 2012

Ano Natsu de Matteru is an anime series from the creator of Onegai Teacher. The guy surely improved over the years. The overall execution and writing were better than in Onegai Teacher (not to mention the difference in art quality). On the other hand the story itself wasn't all that great and Onegai Teacher had a more coherent one. The love polygon with lots of unrequited love gave a strong Toradora vibe.

So what's the series about? It's romcom about a bunch of teenagers where (nearly) every kid has an unrequited love. There is this plot about an alien girl (which was obviously taken from Onegai Teacher), but in the long run the sci-fi elements never become the main theme of the series. Unlike it's predecessor it had far less fanservice (that or I really failed to notice most of it), but we got much more drama instead.

I didn't like the male lead at first, but he did improve over time. At least he wasn't as dull as Kei from Onegai Teacher.

Time for complains:

- The last episode wasn't great and contained a bit of cheap\cheesy stuff

- Sometimes mouths and faces were drawn quite sloppy (in a dialog driven series where faces are shown most of time it's a bad sign)

As a whole I did like this series (I'd go into details, but right now I'm too sleepy for that).

P.S. For some reason I though of Asobi ni Iku yo after watching this series (it had aliens and that unrequited love drama too, so maybe that's why). Anyway, it had a rather peculiar way of resolving all the love polygon drama (it would certainly not work in Ano Natsu de Matteru), though otherwise Asobi ni Iku yo was crap.