Itochan60

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi

11 SEP
2012

Story: 3/10

Boy, where do I even start? The plot follows a group of kids in high school that run a company (Otogi Bank) that does pretty much any random request that you want for a fee. This scenario serves as a plot device to have the characters run around do an assortment of tasks while one of the worst romance plots (if you can call it that) plays out. Add in the weird plot of Ryouko's ex-boyfriend trying to use a whole school of delinquents to try and make her life miserable which gives the show some fighting scenes. In the end the story tries to do too much so it end up doing nothing well. About the only engaging thing about this series is the relationship between Ryouko and Shirou, which ends up getting pretty much side swept and you never actually find out what happened.

Now here were some of my biggest peeves with this show, and I will start with the worst offender, the narrator. This show does NOT need one. In the writers attempts to be funny, they use the narrator to tell the audience the most obvious of things...it feels like an assault on my intelligence. Telling me what a character is thinking or feeling instead of just showing it and letting me figure out massively dumbs down the show and is kind of an insult to the audience.

The next peeves involve spoilers. I won't be ruining much, but just giving a warning anyways.

As soon as I hit the episode where Ryouko gets amnesia I was like "really?!" It is one of the most common plot devices in anime and it just doesn't work well. I got my hopes up though that Ookami would manage to do a decent job parodying it, but that thought was all but thrown out the window.

The romance in this show is downright TERRIBLE. There is no chemistry between the two main characters and really no perceivable reason as to why they even like each other. Listening to Ryoushi confessions are down right painful...and why the hell do they happen multiple times?!?! The thing with confessions is that once they are said, we kinda know already. Ryouko shouldn't act surprised when Ryoushi confesses for like the 3rd time. And by the end of the show do we even have anything to show for it? Ryouko admits that she might like him to someone else but THAT'S IT. Not even a hand hold! You took a 12 episode romantic comedy and the characters can't even manage to hold hands? Dear god!

Last but not least is the ending. The show just kind of stops. There really is no conclusion, nothing is wrapped up. This series is ripe for a sequel, but I honestly hope it doesn't get one.

Art Direction (Animation): 6/10

Nothing great here, but nothing that bad either. The entire look and feel of this show just feels so generic. The color pallet is vibrant and everything is well drawn, but no real steps have been taken to make anything even remotely unique. Some of the character designs are good, but nothing to write home about. All in all this area doesn't hurt the show, which is more than I can say for the plot.

Sound: 6/10

The opening and ending themes were immediate skips for me. If you like generic Jpop songs that are so sugary that they could give you a toothache, then maybe you will enjoy them. As for me, I only lasted a few seconds before I was skipping ahead.

The show's background music isn't good nor bad. It just blends in, which is for the most part what it should do. There were a few odd songs here and there, but nothing that really annoyed me.

I always have a hard time judging voice acting when I watch a show subbed. To my ears the delivery sounded great and the voices fit the characters well. That said, I think I can't really do that great of a job review this area without actually understanding the language.

Characters: 3/10

I image the folks at JC Staff had a conversation like this when they were coming up with characters for Ookami:

"People really liked Taiga from Toradora, right?"

"Yeah, the fans loved her!"

"Well, why don't we just make her again, just put her in a bit older body."

"Great idea! And how about we take out all of Taiga's depth as a character; we wouldn't want to actually make this show good!"

That about sums up the character design for Ookami, generic characters that fall in to preconceived archetypes and absolutely no character depth.

Overall: 3/10

It took me 3 tries to finish watching Ookami and the only reason I did was so I could feel confident in putting out a reviewing after having watched the entire show.

The bottom line is that this show is not worth your time. If you were tricked in to this show thinking that you were in for another amazing show like Toradora, I am sorry, but this isn't what you are looking for...sorry bro.

Other Anime Reviews by Itochan60

Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini user review by Itochan60

Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini

overall score: 6.5/10

Silver Spoon user review by Itochan60

Silver Spoon

Angel Beats! user review by Itochan60

Angel Beats!

comments

DuckPhlegm avatar DuckPhlegm
Oct 16, 2012

I totally agree with this review. Especially with the terrible romance, from the looks of it this show would be directed at kids so I guess I cant expect too much.