Ikioi's avatar

• Pensacola, Fl
  • Joined Jul 9, 2008

Attack on Titan

Apr 30, 2013

This is an early impression review, as none of us have actually seen all that Attack on Titan has to offer yet. I just want to get some early impressions out there so more people can see what they're missing out on!

Story - 9/10 (so far)

The story is a little vague as to why things are the way they are at the moment but these things take time. The first few episodes span a couple of years so things do jump around a little but it is easy to keep track of. There is a lot of misfortune that leaves you empathizing with the characters in the anime from the begining. You find yourself wanting the main character, Eren, to become strong.

Animation - 9/10

The animation is amazing. They use a very bold art style that speaks for itself although sometimes things can be odd. These oddities range from the occasional still image lasting longer then it should, or outlines of the characters becoming bolder then they would usually be. Attack on Titan actually has an amazing visual style that surpasses most of what I have actually seen before but it is little oddities like this that make me knock it down a rank from perfect.

Sound - 8/10

The sound effects are amazing in Attack on Titan, you almost feel like the titans footsteps are making you shake.

Characters - 8/10

You can really empathize with the characters in Attack on Titan after seeing what happens, it really makes you want to see them achieve their story goal. That being said though the characters are slightly archtypical. You have your cleche main character archtype who has sworn to commit some kind of genocyde in the name of revenge, the female supporting archtype who will do anything to protect the main character, and the goofy character who seems to just be along for the ride.

Overall -  8.5/10

I was told about this anime by an old friend and the first episode really made me skeptical when I saw it. I gave it a chance though and I am really glad I did. The characters are amazing and the story is really picking up. I wrote this review hoping that a few more people might pick it up as well.

- Ikioi (Life)

MOJ says...

Just a question, but did you take into account the opening song in your mark for "Sound" I mean, the opening has got to be one of the most powerful and well done songs I have heard in an anime for years. Of course that is my own opinion but just the fame this anime got from the opening alone is enough to warrant a higher score.Secondly, I love the way the protagonist is your cliche "believe in myself" personality... yet everything he does is thwarted by the anime's reality. He doesn't gain magical powers or a new form just by screaming and "believing" in himself or his friends (refer to my blog on how much I hate that cliche).This anime effectively restored my faith in original work. Nothing copied from any other anime, not a single thing.

May 14, 2013
Ikioi says...

Yeah, I have to say I love it as well. It is really interesting how all of the characters are on a level playingfeild. The enemy is so much more powerful then them and you can feel the greif, and fear of the world that has been created. I actually haven't watched ep 5 yet I will be doing so soon, TY for the comment.

May 4, 2013
Austin1397 says...

Just finished episode 5 and I am absolutely stunned. I have no idea what they will do next after that big scene. The creators are 100% original, I have never in my life seen any anime pass the boundries that this one has and manage to pull it off nicely. What I like best is that this anime shows not once but several times that trying harder in combat doesn't make you OP, undefeatable, omega, etc. I simply just do not know how I will withstand the waiting time till next saturday.

May 4, 2013