IamCree

Kimi to Koi ni Ochiru Mahou de

BASED ON 1 OF 1 VOLUMES READ
14 JAN
2011

The story concept sounded cute, but the delivery was fairly substanceless. Although it is common for female leads in shoujo mangas to look childlike, the lead in this one could have been no older than three. She looked like a three year old. Period. This made the premise of a sixteen-year-old girl moving to Tokyo to live on her own and join a bakery even less believable than at first it sounds. It also produced conflicting feelings in me when the male lead (a hormone-driven teenage boy) tried to make out with her the first time they met.

I LOVE baking, so you can imagine my disappointment when I had to force myself to read through to the end. I wish I could have believed any of the characters, but they were just two-dimensional pawns to tell a story. And then there was no story. For a slice of life, the fact that there is no point to the story can be ok, but with with no real character developement and no stunning art to make up for it, the manga fell flat. I can only guess that the high score for this came from 9 year-old girls who like a cute story, but there's better stuff out there! All in all, the "romance" lacked emotional depth and the story was not plausible. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't worth the read.

I feel generous with my overall score.

Other Manga Reviews by IamCree