Howlorihara's avatar

Howlorihara

• the one place with people
  • Joined Aug 16, 2011
  • ? / F

Dead Leaves

Aug 20, 2012

I don't even know what to say.  This anime is so bizarre.

Story: The story is obviously not the focus of this movie.  There is very little sense to be made where the story is concerned.  I have watched plenty of animes where the story didn't stand out over the animation.  This was one of those situations.  There is so much to look at that I find that my brain has no room to pay attention to anything that's happening.  All that I was able to make complete sense of was the show's vulgarity.  I grow tired of that kind of humor very quickly and that is what most of this movie is.  The second I saw a man with a drill for a penis I sort of checked out.  The plot, as far as you need to know, is about two beings (of somewhat unknown species) named Pandy and Retro.  They have lost their memories and proceed to go on a crime spree.  Once they are caught they are taken to a wild and technologically advanced prison.  I don't think the explanation needs to go beyond that.

Animation:  I am so torn about this animation style.  I cannot deny that the animators made something very unique when they styled this.  I also couldn't help but think that this show definitely had talented people behind it.  But I could barely keep my eyes open.  I will admit that I do have eyes that are fairly sensitive to light, but I have never found animation that truly hurt my eyes.  I am not joking.  I could hardly keep my eyes open to watch it.  I have watched some insane animation but this is the one and only anime that had me wishing I were wearing sunglasses to watch it.  This animation is so wild and colorful I can only call it sensory overload.

Sound:  Once again, we have sensory overload.  The sounds were loud, vulgar, crass and ultimately pretty unpleasant to listen to.  Yet, this felt intentional.  The creators obviously wanted some of these situations to feel uncomfortable, in which case, they did an excellent job with it.  It was not an enjoyable experience but I can appreciate what they were doing.

Characters:  The characters are vulgar lunatics.  Need I say more?  We have an admittedly creative array of criminals, all disgusting in their own right.  Everyone just seems to be a new character introduced to cause more chaos.  I am fine with that.  The action was entertaining but it doesn't leave room for much character development.

I am so utterly confused by this anime.  It's so crass that I want to say this anime is just inane but there is a part of me that keeps wondering if there is a genius to it that I'm not getting.  I would say that, even if this movie is secretly genius, it is still one of the most painful movies I have ever watched.