HazelMizuki

Polar Bear Cafe

12 JUN
2012

Okay, so far I've only watched 7 of the 10 episodes that are out so far, but I think I am getting enough of the gist.  It is possible that over time the quality will diminish, but I will take my chances and write this premature review.

Basically I want to know what drugs these guys are on, because I want some.

Story - each story is simply a premise, a situation for the writers to dig out some comic gold. There are some through-lines, but there is no overriding plot so far.  It's very refreshing to tune in to.  This is a comedy, and more often than not, the gags are so over-the-top, they pass beyond stupid and become cackle-worthy.  There is definitely a large dollop of insanity of a somewhat psychedelic nature.

Animation - I like the art.  It's right for this show.  It's like candy.

Sound - Sound effects guy is working overtime.  Sometimes I even think it might be too much!  The opening song is adorable.

Characters - The voice acting is terrific.  The characters are a big part of the winsomeness of this show, too.  Polar Bear is sort of our parental figure - he's been around the block and knows the ways of the world, and warmly cares for his friends.  Panda is young and unworldly - he doesn't know how to take care of himself and he likes cute things, especially pandas (he is well aware of his own cuteness and relishes it.)  Penguin is worldly but sarcastic, lacking the emotional maturity needed to feel secure in empathizing or sharing his feelings. I particularly enjoy Panda's befuddled cuteness and Penguin's sarcastic commentary, and I love their voices, too.

Overall, this is a cute show with a childish demeanor but a grown-up sense of humor.  It is weird, funny, light, koolaid fun.

Other Anime Reviews by HazelMizuki