Garyuu's avatar

Garyuu

• Georgia, USA
  • Joined Dec 21, 2007

Voices of a Distant Star

I think this is my favorite of Makoto Shinkai's films. Maybe because it was only 24 minutes long. His movies are well made, but the pacing is so slow. VoaDS ended before it could get boring. The very simple things are what made it emotional. Just the time it took to receive a message on their phones, made it feel sad. This movie was a lot more scifi based than movies like 5 Centimeters Per Seconds, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. I liked that a lot. I just like science fiction.

The environments looked amazing, but that's what I'd expect from his movies. I would say it had perfect visuals, but the characters are what messed it up. Their faces just looked terrible. It looked he first drew the outline of the face, then started drawing the features from the top down. The thing is he forgot that he had the rest of the face to fill. Everything was bunched together on the head.

He is awesome at painting scenery, but he should stay away from people. Still, it is amazing that he did everything. He directed, wrote, and made the whole movie on his Mac. Whether you liked VoaDS or not, I still think that is impressive. He and his girlfriend even did the original voices. I don't have the original, but I guess they sucked if they went and got professionals for a newer release.