Garyuu's avatar

• Georgia, USA
  • Joined Dec 21, 2007

Solanin

Nov 1, 2009

I was never really into manga. I saw Solanin and thought I would give it a try. Maybe it's because it's only two volumes long, so it would be cheap (I prefer hard copies over scans). Thank goodness for me being cheap. This was great!

The story was good. It wasn't anything intense, but the presentation was great. Everyday events of the characters grabbed my interests. I never knew I could be this interested in a slice of live manga that didn't have anything supernatural or wacky. That's not to say the characters were dull. They were great. It felt like the writer put some of his experiences into the characters. They were believable, and I sympathized with the characters.

One of the first things that stuck out at me at first was the art. It was good, and it was different. Today, I can't tell the difference between 90% of these artists. He has his own style, which doesn't come off as loud or over-the-top like a lot of artists. He has a half-way realistic style. Character's eyes aren't humongous, and women don't have oversized breasts. It is really nice to see someone who is different amongst all these other artists who can't break away from the generic style. Or maybe I just need to read more manga.

I think I'll go get everything else he has done... now.

9.7/10 overall

eleniyo1992 says...

You should read A Girl by the Sea. It's from the same artist, you will find similarities with Solanin, but I have to warn you, it's very sad in some parts and you'll come to realise how lonesome beings we humans are.

Jul 14, 2012
TheMajor5 says...

have to say i agree with the rating and everything.  This manga just captured me and it was really good.  Its funny, it was about 2 peoples daily life and yet was better than some manga ive read that i thought good.  Nice review, art was different, but i didnt pay attention to that as much as i did to the story. XD

Jun 15, 2010