Galadriel's avatar

Galadriel

• Romania
  • Joined Jun 24, 2009

Byousoku 5 Centimeters (5 Centimeters per Second)

Plot: "Although today Tono Takaki and Shinohara Akari live far apart due to a family move shortly after elementary school, they were once two shy young students brought together by their shared differences from their peers. It is because of this that the two built a bond of closeness between them that still survives through their continued correspondence, even over such a distance. Secretly they both fear the loss of this bond over time, and for this reason they arrange a meeting between just the two of them. The journeys both of them take in their minds and in their lives create an atmosphere of intense emotional upheaval, but also a sense of peace. It is a twist of fate and a series of decisions that put the two in place to carry what they choose of their pasts into the future they will create for themselves." (site synopsis)

Story: Before starting with the story analizing, a few words about this anime.I got to say that i kinda delayed making a review about this movie (anime) mainly because i was pretty busy at the time i was watching it (6 months ago) and i completely forgot about it. Recently it came in my mind again, started watching it second time, so i can remember what it was about and as always it is pretty impressing. The story of this anime is very captivating, it involves a very deep and sorrowful drama aspect, it is really touching. This anime show is like revealing how week are people when they face loneliness or when they are separated from the one they love, a thing that it is really painful especialy for those that are experiencing it and for those that had experienced it. The story of this anime revolves around Tohno Takaki and Shinohara Akari. When they were in elementary school they were close to eachother, they developed a very strong relationship to the point where they started to not comprehend life without having eachother, until the day Akari moved to another town toghether with her family .Even so the bounds that they developed when they were toghether survived for years, both of them were longing to be toghether again, making every posibility to meet as soon as possible only to lighten the pain of loneliness in their hearts. Even though they were far away one from eachother they still kept in touch, sending emails and letters but that wasn't enough for them. However as the time passed each of them feared that they will eventualy will loose the bound that they created when they were young, as if the pain of beeing separated was not enough, the distance between them didn't seem to diminish but to raise and raise even more day by day to the point where short visits become a necesity in both of their lives. Some people can call this thing "a twist of fate" or "the influence of destiny" mainly because stuff like this cannot realy be explained, realisticaly or scientificaly but love is something that nobody can explain and everybody that truly experienced love knows the feeling when the one you love isn't near you. Carrying the pain of loneliness in their hearts the two continued to live for tomorrow and create a future for themselves. The story of this movie is divided into 3 parts (chapters) Cherry Blossom (Chapter, Episode 1), Cosmonaut (Chapter, Episode 2) and 5 Centimeters per Second (Chapter, Episode 3 -spoiler- The explanation of the title is given in the first chapter of this movie -end spoiler-). During the second chapter another character enters in Takaki's life and that is Kanae Sumida a girl that also fell in love with him. How much she tried to get closer to him and to develop something with him she never could. Eventually she realized that his heart belongs to someone else and this thing helped her deciding what to do in the future. Only one complaint i have regarding this movie, the first two chapters were briliantly made, very touching, revealing and showing the feelings of the two main protagonists and also the side character that appears in the second chapter. My only complaint is related to the third chapter, it was pretty unclear, kinda confusing mainly because we don't know what the characters did afterwards. Many stuff were left unexplained, and it kinda left me in fog, but somehow i did not find it realy disturbing, i enjoyed it until the end. The thrid chapter leaves everything to our imagination and my opinion is that both of them started to realize that if fate can make them be toghether they should just move on with their lives and forget about the past and the time they shared toghether when they were young.

Animation: I started to get familiarized with the animation of CoMix Wave Inc. and also the briliant work of Makoto Shinkai is worth to be praised, not only related to this movie but also the time he spent working on Beyond The Clouds, The Promised Place (check my review) and in Voices of a Distant Star (check my review).The character designs and backgrounds are briliant, nothing to complain about this, a full mark without hesitation, without second thought.

Sound: What i also liked at this movie is (the same like in the other two i mentioned above) the way the sounds fits the anime environment. Again i got nothing to complain here as well. The opening and endings weren't that impressive but the backgroud sounds were the works of a genius.

Characters: Decent. Even though we have only two main protagonists in this anime (Takaki and Akari) and a side character that appears only in the second chapter (Sumida), they were developed quite well. Takaki is the central male character of the movie. Because of his parent's job he was forced to move from town to town, increasing the distance between him and Akari. Shinohara Akari is Takaki's best friend and possibly Takaki's kanojou (girlfriend), the same like Takaki she and her family moves alot. After elementary school she moves to Iwafune but before leaving she suggested that she should live with her aunt in Tokyo, to be toghether with Takaki, but in the end her parents refused her proposal. Sumida is one of Takaki's class mates in high school (chapter 2). She fell in love with Takaki the first time she saw him, but she had difficulties expressing her feelings towards him.

Overall: One of the best movies that i ever seen, this one ocupies a special place for me and toghether with Kumou no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho and Hoshi no Koe, reprezent for me a colection of masterpieces.Very enjoyable, captivating, interesting, touching movie i recommend it to everyone who bears a very slow slice of life aspect.

~Enjoy and Cya Around~

9.5/10 story

Azndragon says...

I think I know what happened in the end...

Akari ran off with another guy and got marriedTakaki turned into a drunken bumKanae became a surfer

:), Ending killed my life. :(

On WikiPedia, it pretty much states that she gave up on Takaki and loved the other guy instead... So sad.

[quote]After a pause, he walks and smiles. Seeing that Akari didn't wait, he realizes that Akari moved on and it's time for him to move on, too.[/quote]

Aug 29, 2010