Galadriel

Mnemosyne

2 NOV
2009

Mnemosyne no Musume Tachi (Daughters of Mnemosyne)

Plot: "Rin is a private investigator with an advantage: near immortality. Thanks to the spores of the Yggdrasill tree, both she and her assistant Mimi have lived many years longer than the average person. That isn’t to say that being immortal doesn't have its problems. With 'angels' wanting to devour them, the being Apos sending wave after wave of professional assassins to kill them, and constant hangovers from long nights of drinking, being immortal still has its downsides. With Apos' attempts at removing them from the picture increasing, can Rin and Mimi figure out what he is after so they can return to their morning shots of Vodka?" (site synopsis)

Story: To start with this was an extreme shock for me. I never thought that there will be an anime that combines so succesfuly sexual themes with extreme, intense horror aspects. No this anime isnt hentai but its not far from it also. What you will see in it is huge baths with blood, and many more horrific things combined with sexual themes, an aspect that its more commonly named as borderline H but in this case given by the horror aspect i'd rather name it ero-guro which in my vision can be compared with a concept known in hentai as tentacle rape (it does not go so far but the point is that its not far from it as well). The story is centered on a private detective named Asaogi Rin who has an advantage: immortality. Geting the Time spores from Yggdrasill tree, both she and her assitant Mimi have been living for many years (centuries). Although beeing immortal doesnt mean you dont have any worries and live peacefuly at least not in Rin's case. As she contines her work as an investigator she gets to deal with other immortals and "angels" who want to devour her (the thing is that women who get the Time spore become immortals and men become "angels" geting their life shortened and loosing their self-conciousness). Rin gets to deal with a weirdo named Apos who sends wave after wave of assassins to kill her and Mimi. One thing that i like at this anime is that it has nice sense of humor (spoiler) "Mimi bring me some water." -drinks and then spits- "You know that in Russia water means Vodka." LOL (end spoiler). Even more this anime has an astonishing mystery aspect. From the begining we dont realy know who Rin is but as the story develops we find out more about her and about her assistant and also about the people that were/are around her and the connections between them which surfaces near the end of the show. What i have to mention here is that this anime is very extreme and intense in both horror and ecchi aspects. It combines them in a way that no anime has ever done before (the only exception could be Elfen Lied but way too far from Mnemosyne). Even though it seems short (only 6 episodes which are abit longer than usual ones) this anime is filled with action and with stuff that realy makes you watch it. Forgot to mention that aside from extreme horror and intense ecchi aspects this anime also have some distinctive yuri aspects which makes it even more sick LOL (at least for me not). If there is an anime that combines all the more extreme anime genres, then this is the one.

Animation and Sound: The animation for Mnemosyne is also kinda unique. Its very distinctive from other animes in many aspects and here i got to mention about the character designs.Rin is the most distinctive character in this anime, her green hair, always wearing trousers and also with those glasses its extremely easy to recognize her. From the cold war times until the time when real life and virtual life coexist, i am also amazed of Mimi and especialy her skills with computers (imagine how the pc's were in the cold war times 1945-1989 was the period of the cold war and until 2055 -chronological time of the anime- when the technology was way more advanced then what it was back then). Very nice animation which gets a suitable mark. In terms of sound this anime is also above average.Since i am a big rock-punk fan and i enjoy this music mostly the opening and the ending songs realy caught my atention. The background songs/sounds were also decent.What i got to mention about the openings and endings is that even this ones give a heavy, intense feeling that fits the anime environment.

Characters: Talking about characters here we have a great and well thinked character development. Passing through episodes more and more characters appear that will have a influence around the ending but also many more dissapear. Rin and Mimi are like the only characters that survived from the begining until the end of the story (not mentioning the secondary characters). I have to mention here about the Maeno family, even though some of their members died while they interacted with Rin their followers always stood around her, helping her with all they could do.

Overall: As an overall this anime is in the category of masterpieces from my point of view. Too bad its too short though if it was longer it woulda been probably alot better but im still satisfied with it especialy with how it ended.It is bloody, it is perverted, it is sick, it is weird but this stuff taken all toghether makes it unique in its own way.Thats why this anime is so unique and has a place of its own. I recommend it to people with a healthy brain because this one realy puts your brain to some "cruel" and "extreme" tests but those who can see beyond this aspects will see that infact this is a very good anime and a worth to watch.

~Have fun and Cya Around~

overall score: 9.4/10

Kaleido Star user review by Galadriel

Kaleido Star

overall score: 8.7/10

comments

oOfreshOo avatar oOfreshOo
Jun 4, 2010

perfect anime!perfect review!

Galadriel avatar Galadriel
Dec 12, 2009

i really don't know what you found "boring" in Mnemosyne, Anathemus and i dont even want to know, my friend RaiChan was just sarcastic coz sane people cannot say that this anime is boring, second of all give me a reason why it was boring if you have one, ow wait you dropped it at the first episode, what image you made of it, none so your opinion does not have a solid base nor evidence that it is like you believe it is

Do me a favor and next time come here after you see all 6 episodes and then tell me if its still boring.And the word boring for this anime does not fit at all, the word "its not my type" or "i did not like it" fits but boring never.

Anathemus avatar Anathemus
Nov 27, 2009

Actually the serie is pretty boring indeed! I dropped it after the first episode, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, now go developt some more tolerance and maturity Gakorak

default avatar Gakorak
Nov 13, 2009

If you think this anime is borring then your point of view must be that of a brain dead adolesent kid with an extra chromosome.

RaiChan avatar RaiChan
Nov 2, 2009

-has his point of view- this anime looks boring