Galadriel's avatar

Galadriel

• Romania
  • Joined Jun 24, 2009

Darker than Black - Kuro no Keiyakusha (Darker than Black - The Black Contractor)

Plot: "A giant wall looms over Tokyo, shielding the city from a dangerous otherworld called the 'Hell's Gate'. Within the city, things are no less terrifying because Contractors, psychopathic killers with phenomenal powers, have started to appear. These killers are compelled to pay a price every time they use their powers, often in the form of a meaningless or painful task. As their deadly habits rack up a gruesome death toll, Kirihara Misaki and her team from the Foreign Affairs Public Security struggle to solve the cases and bring the Contractors under control. Their task is further confounded by the interference of a masked individual they title Messier Code BK201, a man with abilities that allow him to fight and defeat the Contractors. Who is this BK201? How can the Contractors be stopped permanently? And what does the appearance of the Hell's Gate mean for the people of Tokyo?" (this is not my work, this is the site synopsis)

Story: The title "Darker than Black" quickly made me realize that we are dealing with an anime with dark meanings, mysterious elements and horror aspects but not that extreme like other shows that share this genre. The story is centered on Hei, the contractor with the code BK201 (legitimated as Li Shinseng or something like this i dont remember the name very well but it was near this one). He makes an appearance in Tokyo, a terrifying city ruled by Contractors, killers with supernatural powers dueling with eachother. The secret of the Contractors is that everytime they use their power they need to pay a price, this thing is called remuneration which can be a meaningless one (like smoking or eating) or painful task. Inspector Kirihara Misaki investigates the case of BK201 toghether with the Foreign Affairs Public Security. Hei doesnt take the actions alone though. He is also helped by Mao one of his partners and Yin a doll who has powers that can detect a certain target. Huang a former cop receives tasks from a society named "The Syndicate" which orders Hei and his partners to do different dirty jobs such as killing other contractors, etc. From here on the journey starts, Hei continues to do jobs for the Syndicate for quite a while until some of their action became rather questionable and he started to opose the task received through Huang. The story is rather complicated and hard at the begining since the mystery aspect is astonishing. Only near the ending all stuff are revealed and the plot starts to make sense and reach a culminant point. The story has alot more meanings than the typical the conspiracies within certain organizations and simple action sequences meant to just kill Contractors and finish the job. Hei's background is kinda shallow but not unclear, his goal is to find information regarding her lost sister, which dissapeared during a conflict and was thought that she died during that time. Imediately after that, Hei became a Contractor, and not a normal one, but one of the most powerful ever, having the skills to control electricity and strangle his oponents with a string. Helped by Mao with gathering information and by Huang, the doll without emotions Yin only helps with detecting targets. The one that might've been implicated in Hei's sister disapearence is a girl named Amber, apparently another notorious Contractor with a special place in his past. His pursue for her led him to Tokyo, which is also the city near Hell's Gate, a place where mankind is not allowed to put foot into.

Animation and Sound: In terms of animation Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha isnt bad at all infact its totaly awsome.The character designs are damn well thinked and made.I remained quite impressed. In terms of sound this anime rocks! The opening fits the anime environment and is also one of my favourite OST's and the ending is decent also.The background sounds/songs are very well selected.Nothing to complain here only to praise.

Characters: This anime has a very nice character development. More and more characters are shown as the story develops some of them dissapear until the ending and others with an important impact in the end. In terms of characters this anime rocks. hei is the typical ruthless male protagonist that knows how to adapt in the society puting masks and not showing his true self around his flat mates or around other people that he interacts with.

Overall: As an overall this anime wasnt a dissapointment at all.The begining realy was challenging for me because it seemed realy boring and very confusing.But around the middle when stuff are getting clear (partialy) it starts to become interesting.I am glad that i wasted a full day watching this anime because it is a total succes.High hopes for the second season as well.

~Enjoy and cya around~

8.5/10 story
9.5/10 animation
9.3/10 overall

Purplefeeling says...

nice review, with images and such, makes me want to watch it x)

Oct 30, 2010
RyuSoma says...

Great review!  I own this show, but I haven't got around to watch it yet.  Now, my interest has peaked even more.  Good job!

Oct 30, 2009
WillMunny says...

Uh, dude, why did you plagiarize the synopsis from the anime's main page in your review?

Oct 30, 2009