Galadriel's avatar

• Romania
  • Joined Jun 24, 2009

Simoun

Oct 23, 2009

Plot: "In the world of Daikuuriku, all children are born female; but once they become a young adult, they may choose which sex they will become. In this world which is at war with itself, the women of Simalacrum find themselves charged with the task of piloting the ancient machines known as Simoun in hopes of turning the tide of war. Though originally simple ceremonial machines, the most gifted of pilots can turn the glowing "ri maajon" of their rituals onto their enemies and obliterate them from the skies using these Simoun. However, it takes a special bond between two highly gifted girls to successfully pilot a Simoun. With the toll of blood and pain that these previously innocent girls are taking, how many will be able to carry on, even knowing that they are the only real thing standing between freedom and subjugation of their land?" (not my work, this is the site synopsis)

How should I start this review? Well i will begin with how I ended watching this anime.Well there was a time when i watched several animes with various genres having as main tags action, horror, psychological, adventure etc some of them realy were interesting and I enjoyed watching them some of them not.I longed for something else and after searching for a new anime to watch i ended with Simoun.After reading the introduction and made a first impression i said to myself "i think i shoud give it a try" and im so glad that i took this decision because i dont regret that i seen it.

Story: The story was very well developed but still it had some holes in it and some unclear stuff but as whole it was pretty good.Also in the begining when stuff are a bit unclear i had the feeling that this might become a very complicated story but after passing through episodes i started to understand.As the story develops more and more stuff are revealed which realy surprized me.What i liked so much at this anime was the ending even though some of the main charas died most of the Tempest Choir members survived the war and followed their path some of them choose their gender others didnt in other words a happy ending for an anime that gives the impression that it will be tragicaly.

Animation: Well in terms of animation Simoun is of course above average but i wasnt so pleased with the character design since the production year was 2006 i expected an anime with a better animation in terms of character design.

Sound: Only one thing i can complain at sound is that the background sounds were kinda lame and realy hard to bear but the ending song and especially the opening song (Ishikawa Chiaki - Utsukushii kereba sore de ii) compensate for the crapy background sounds.

Characters: The most interesting point in Simoun is that there is a complete focus on character development.As the story develops the number of characters increases.Im very pleased with how my favorite characters were developed: Neviril, Aaeru, Dominura and Mamina but especially Aaeru the headstrong character which helped the growth of the other characters especially Neviril.Despite the fact that the main characters were developed very good the character development still has some holes.

Overall: As an overall this anime in the begining was kinda hard to watch since it leaves a feeling of boredomness but as the story develops more and more stuff were revealed and it got pretty interesting.It gave me a hunger of knowledge more exactly the curiosity of how it will eventually end.I dont regret watching this anime at all especially because of the suitable ending.

~Just my thoughts and feel free to post comments~

Here are some pictures: