FullmetalCowboy24

Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden

21 JUN
2012

Critic's Log - Earthdate: June 21, 2012. Supplemental for Review #10: Darker Than Black Gaiden (Side Story).

It is difficult to forget the past that has horrific memories, it feels like a nightmare that you could not wake up from... The only thing to do is move forward.

If you have been reading my other reviews, keep this in mind... Before I start reviewing something, I like to poke a little fun during the review and I sort of did something like that just now with the poetic philosophical intro I had with this review plus the previous reviews I did for Darker Than BLACK... With that all said, here is the OVA Side Story of Darker Than BLACK...

After the incidents in Tokyo, Hei and Yin try to bury their past and start a new life, but everywhere they go someone seems to be following them. Unaware to Hei, Yin's current odd behavior appears to be related to a prophecy that might lead to the end of the world.

To be technical and I don't really want to state the obvious here but... oh, what the hell... This is yet another Studio Bones production. This is also another OVA for Darker Than BLACK and is also a prequel to Season 2 (Gemini of The Meteor). All I have to say about this technicality is... KUDOS TO STUDIO BONES For making this. This OVA explains on what happened before Gemini of The Meteor started. This OVA lasts 4 episodes long so I may not have much to say for the Side Story OVA. But I do have a few things to say. The animation is still just like the other 2 Seasons, the action scenes are spectacular in this OVA in fact I really like how the action scenes are shown this time around. I got nothing bad to say about the animation for this OVA. It kicks ass when it does.

The story being 4 Episodes long is okay and I think the story is pretty average and I think some people might enjoy the story. I don't think it's as gripping as it should be... but I'll save one topic in a bit...

The music by Yasushi Ishii is used from Gemini of The Meteor and I guess the music's fine but I think I have said enough of Ishii-san's soundtrack on my review for Gemini Of The Meteor and I'll just say it again... I think his music is okay for the show.

The voice acting for this OVA is good on both The Subbed and Dubbed versions. Just like Seasons 1 and 2, the Dubbed and Subbed versions are both enjoyable. The Subtitled version is really good and The English Dub is great as well and there are a couple of surprise voice casting in the dub. Johnny Yong Bosch plays Shichi and Stephanie Sheh voices a stray dog (which sounds nothing like her comparing her previous roles). In this case, you can't go wrong with either version. It's all a matter of preference.

Some Contractors exclusive in this OVA are kinda cool. There was one thing I found quite confusing was the relationship between Hei and Yin. I am giving you a spoiler alert before you read the following. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!. Near the end of The OVA, Yin told Hei that she loved him. I don't recall any foreshadowing of Yin having feelings for Hei except for possibly the last episode of Season 1. This does feel a bit forced and disorienting since this slight romantic development isn't shown too much.

I have one more thing to say before I start wrapping up this review. I recommend watching this OVA before watching Season 2 of Darker Than BLACK.

The OVA Side Story of Darker Than BLACK is available from Funimation, it was released with Season 2: Gemini of The Meteor

With that Said, This is OVA that makes up for the confusion that was made during Season 2. If you want to see really cool action scenes. This is for you. If you are willing to just watch this and the second season just for the hell of it even though Season 2 may not live up to your expectations, You might like this...

I give The OVA Side Story of Darker Than BLACK a 7 out of 10

Feel free to comment below, and have a pleasant dream under the moonlight.

Other Anime Reviews by FullmetalCowboy24