FullmetalCowboy24

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

21 MAR
2012

Critic's Log: Earthdate - March 21, 2012. Review #2: Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

It is the year 2071.  Halloween is in a few days and the Bebop crew is searching for bounty to find someone who is releasing a deadly virus. The original creators of the virus send a woman named Electra to find the man responsible for releasing this deadly virus. The fate of Mars rests on the Bebop crew.

That is the gist of the Cowboy Bebop Movie.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (also known in Japan as "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door") was made by two animation studios, those two being Sunrise and Bones, and boy does the collaboration pay off! The success of Cowboy Bebop led to a feature film that is just as good as the TV show. According to some sources, the events of the movie take place in between Sessions #22 and #23. I guess that makes sense, why would the movie take place after the show.

Beside all the technicalities of this movie, I'll explain what I liked and what I didn't like in the movie. First of all, I really like the animation. It looks better than the show and that is because the movie had a bigger budget than the show, but the animation is eye-candy from beginning to end.

The Bebop crew is still the same old bounty hunters you know; there are two movie exclusive characters that are interesting in this movie in which the two are Electra and Vincent. There is a connection between these two, and I won't spoil the rest of it if you haven't seen the movie.

I also appreciate the soundtrack for being a bit different than the show, Director Shinichiro Wantanabe chose an Arabesque atmosphere for the setting and some of the music because he felt it was alien to him and it was not used much in the show. The music by Yoko Kanno is still...

As far as voice acting goes (from the U.S. Release’s language tracks), there are 3 versions, the original Japanese version (the subtitled version), the English dub, and the French dub. I am not going to comment on the French dub because I am going to make this clear, I am choosing to only comment on The subtitled version and The English dubbed versions of anime shows and films. Since I reside in the U.S., Animes that are released in the U.S. usually get subtitled versions and English dubbed versions. Some contain French dubbed versions but I chose not to comment on the French dubs. Moving on. The Japanese cast and The English dub Cast are both good on their own. Tsutomu Isobe was chosen to play Vincent and Ai Kobayashi were picked to voice Electra because neither of them had very much experience and they were both pretty good. As far as The English dub goes, Daran Norris' role as Vincent was scary good, and Jennifer Hale's role as Electra was good too. Both the subtitled and the dubbed versions are good. I already mentioned in my review of the TV show about that The subtitled version may be overshadowed by the English dub.

If there is one thing I could complain is that the length of the movie may have been a bit too long in length, this could have been worked as a 2-part episode or even 3, but I guess it's nothing to complain about. Keiko Nobumoto's screenplay is good enough for this movie. It's still a good action flick that can be enjoyed with popcorn.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie is available from Sony Pictures and Destination Films or whoever is behind distribution.

With that said, The Cowboy Bebop movie is a really fun film; it has kick-ass action scenes and some amazing animation. It may not be necessary to watch with the show, but it is made for the viewers who liked the show. If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you'll probably like the movie too.

I would give this movie a 10 out of 10 if it was really was connected to the show, but is it necessary to watch the film? Well, that is up to you. if I was rating this movie as a standalone movie, I would rate the movie somewhere along a 8 out of 10, But to be fair, since the show's episodes were treated like short films while The movie is obviously a feature-length film that is part of the Cowboy Bebop series (even though this movie was made after the TV show)  I'll give it a proper rating for the most part.

I give Cowboy Bebop: The Movie a 9.5 out of 10...  it is EXCELLENT! It's not really a masterpiece compared to the show. But it's still awesome,

Feel free to comment below and ask yourself this one question, are you dreaming?

Other Anime Reviews by FullmetalCowboy24