FullmetalCowboy24

2 JUL
2013

Critic’s Log: June, 22, 2013. Review #52: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War

After the disappointment that was the previous Legend of the Galactic Heroes movie called Golden Wings, another movie came out. This movie came out a year before the show started its third season. What did the creative staff make that time? A movie known as Overture to a New War.

I don’t think giving you a sypnosis of this movie will be needed this time because this movie is an extended retelling of the first two episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

To be technical, this is a production by Kitty Films and Magic Bus. I can tell you that this movie has some of the best animation to offer on Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Yes, I know this is because of the fact that this is a movie, meaning a higher budget and so forth. This movie also follows the same character designs from the Main series and not that atrocity known as Golden Wings. The character designs look fantastic as always. The animation is also very damn good in this movie.

The music (like the Main series) is a mix of classical pieces and they are used terrifically in this movie. Is there more to say about the soundtrack to this series?.

When it comes to voice acting, The original cast members reprise their roles. Ryo Horikawa is terrific as Reinhard von Lohengramm. The late Kei Tomiyama is also terrific as always with his role as Yang Wen-li. Masashi Hironaka is another terrific seiyu as Siegfried Kircheis. Hideyuki Tanaka is great as Jean Robert Lap. Katsuji Mori is great as Mittermeyer. Kazuhiko Inoue is also great as Attenborough. Keiko Han is terrific as Annerose. Mami Koyama is great as Jessica Edwards. Unsho Ishizuka is great as Job Truniht, and Norio Wakamoto is fantastic as always with Reuenthal. The voice acting is solid in this movie which the show as a whole has solid voice acting. If you are looking for an English Dub to this show, you are out of luck. No English Dub exists for this movie, the main series or any other entry in this franchise.

As far as characters go in this movie, this movie does the first two episodes justice by adding more than what was shown in the first two episodes. I did feel that more could have been added at the first two episodes and this movie does just that. We get some background on Yang Wen-li and Reinhard von Lohengramm in this movie compared to the first two episodes which is great. This movie feels more like an extended cut on the first two episodes which I think this movie makes it obvious. There are moments that put weight on the characters and the story and some moments are different on the first two episodes and this movie makes those moments better.

As far as the story is concerned, know that this movie is an extended take on the first two episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. That’s it! There are some scenes that were not in the first two episodes and these new scenes really give more detail to this particular part of the story as well as more detail on the characters early on. My only nitpick is how the movie ends, they could have thrown in a little more to end it on a spectacular note. If you already saw the first two episodes, you really should watch this movie. If you do re-watch this anime. Start off again with My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, then jump into Overture To A New War. In a way, you got your first two episodes right there, then you can watch the rest of the show afterwards since this movie is an extended take on the first two episodes, Hence my analogy with the two movies. Golden Wings may have been a disappointment, but this movie sure as hell makes up for this.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture To A New War is unlicensed, your only way to experience it is online. Look it up at your own leisure.

With all that said, Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture To A New War is a nice addition even though it’s an extended re-telling. It does give more detail on the beginnings of a few characters which the first two episodes lacked a little. Fans of the show may appreciate this extended re-telling. If there wasn’t much that the first two episodes offered that haven’t convinced you enough, this re-telling is the definitive take on the first two episodes.

I give Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture To A New War a 9.5 out of 10, it is EXCELLENT!

Feel free to leave a comment, and be at peace.

Other Anime Reviews by FullmetalCowboy24