FreddyCrab's avatar

• UK
  • Joined Oct 20, 2011

Kimi ni Todoke

Mar 26, 2013

Story: I'd been meaning to watch Kimi Ni Todoke for aaaaaages, I knew it was pretty popular as far as romance animes go, and I thought I would enjoy it, maybe I would find similarities to some of my favourite animes like Hana Yori Dango...But I think I put my hopes up too high. I was fairly dissapointed.

To put it plainly, Kimi Ni Todoke is one of them girly animes like Clannad or the like, where little happens in each episode. Overall the focus is on character development, but in terms of the physical storyline and people doing things, not much ever happens. Entire episodes would consist just of a class choosing their seats for a new semester of high school, or planning the school play- and although a lot of people seem to like these, they were just full of so little action I would struggle to stop myself from zoning out each episode. The sweet parts where Mr Popular Guy looked shyly yet longingly at Sawako were the only interesting parts, for me anyway.

Animation: I enjoyed looking at the animation in Kimi Ni Todoke, as it was very unique and easily distinguishable from other animes- the soft pastel colours and smaller shoujo eyes were pretty cute. However the lack of detail in the characters I could sometimes find ruined the effect of the anime. I knew this was simply the style of the actual manga artist who created this manga before it was adapted into an anime, but the use of line I sometimes found a litle too tacky... The secondary characters especially could sometimes look rather messy. But the colours were good!

Sound: I remember very little of the music in Kimi No Todoke- it was mainly subtle classical music, which fitted very well with the subjects of the anime, it was complimenting and fitting. But often hard to even notice was playing.

Characters: The characters in Kimi Ni Todoke were actually rather good. Sawako's friends were rather loud and boisterous, a trait I found very appealing in contrast to her quiet persona- but a problem I had was how her AND her love interest were BOTH almost equally silent. Now I am sure as the anime goes on they both probably become more confident and open, but both of them being so shy and silent meant I felt I couldn't relate to them as much as I would most anime characters- I couldn't see very much appeal the popular guy had from Sawako. He was...quiet. Likewise, I was struggling to understand his attraction to her. Yes, she was different from all the other girls, but I couldn't help but feel neither got out of their shell enough for me to grow to like them more than just slightly. But despite this, I haven't watched the entire anime, so I cannot give the most accurate opinion on this.

Overall: If you like animes with calm, gentle storylines focussing more on characters' emotions and feelings instead of bold, action packed events, then I am pretty sure you will like this. But even as a romance anime the romance is pretty darn subtle, if you like things what grab your attention through bolder statements, you might find this anime a little on the boring side. Its worth a look at though :)

6.5/10 animation
7.5/10 characters

mdolphins says...

I have to say I agree with you about most of your review. Especially the part about how shy and quiet K and S were at times. I do have to say however, I thought the opening song in the first season was great and pretty memorable in that it set the tone throughout the whole series. Anyway, good review.

Aug 17, 2013