Flint879's avatar

• Joined Jan 29, 2013
  • 24 / ?

High School DxD

Nov 16, 2013

High School DxD is defintely a strange anime at it's core. I've watched ecchi before, but none to this extent. Most of it was intentional and it turned me off to certain aspects of this anime.

THE STORY IS: Issei is a pervert in every shape, way, and form. Him and his 2 other friends dream, fantasize, and never pass up a chance to see the girls at school naked. One day, Issei comes across a girl who wants to go out with him. He obviously says yes and they embark on a date. At the end of the date, the girl turns out to be a Fallen Angel and kills Issei. While dying, he is brought back to life by Rias Gremory, the head of the Gremory Demon Clan. Issei must now cope with his newly found life as a demon and a slave to Rias.

To be clear, the only reason I watched this is because I thought the story was intriguing. It had some really intense points, but mostly towards the end of the anime. The only thing that turned me off about the story is the mass amount of nudity. I understand it's an ecchi and that is what it entails, but there is a limit. I wanted to see how the story developed and I got a good story with a LOT of boobs and nudity. The story, honestly, starts out slow and never really goes anywhere until about halfway through. Even then, it felt rushed and never took some necessary time to put the boobs on the back burner and let the story come forward and take the lime light. Overall the story was very well done and worth the watch through.

THE ANIMATION was top notch! Very clean, crisp, and not too colorful nor drab. Honestly, I thought the animation was probably the best animation I have seen so far in an anime. Also considering that it is a newer anime, it still is very clean cut.

THE SOUND was also pretty good. The voice acting was where it needed to be. The sound effects were on par. It was good overall.

THE CHARACTERS were hit or miss. Issei is a good character at some points, but most of the time he is rather annoying with his crazy obsession with boobs. If they toned Issei's boob-crazed personality down from off the scale to a more tolerable amount here and there, he would've been a great character. Rias is a great female lead. She keeps Issei and everyone else in their place and defintely stands out as a leader. Everyone else has their own persona, but don't really take the forfront as much as Issei, Rias, and Asia. I would like to have known more about Konoko and Aneko and take a peek into their backgrounds a bit to see where they came from and why there are the way they are.

OVERALL High School DxD was a pretty good anime to watch. It has a slow start to an intriguing plot, but it was very good overall. As I stated earlier, my only complaint was the mass plethora of nudity. Some was unnecessary and some was whatever, but I didn't mind it except towards the end where it became all too frequent in situations that didn't call for it.