Flint879's avatar

• Joined Jan 29, 2013
  • 25 / ?

Inu x Boku SS

Sep 15, 2013

I am never a fan of short anime series' just because I feel like it doesn't have the time to grow and/or explain anything to achieve a certain level of detail. Inu x Boku SS is, in my opinion, a prime example of a story not reaching anywhere near it's potential.

THE STORY IS: The Maison de Ayakashi is a pretty prestige apartment building where humans with demon ancestors called Youkai reside. Ririchiyo is a Youkai who moves into the building for one reason...peace. Every resident of the Ayakashi Mansion is assigned a Secret Service agent. Ririchiyo's SS agent is Miketsukami, assigned to protect her with all his will. Thus our story begins...

The only problem I had with the story of Inu x Boku SS was the fact that there was...practically none. The only things that go on during the anime are: The girls going to school, shenanigans between the residents and SS agents, and that's about it. Nothing more. Albeit, there were a good bit of parts throughout that made me laugh, but it still doesn't make up the fact that there was no story. There is no explaination on what the Youkai are or where they came from or anything about them. They are just there to exist with no prior knowledge presented. If there was supposed to be more to this, please present it because I would have liked to know more about everything that went on here. Granted, I'm not just ranting, there was really nothing to follow from episode to episode which made this a bust. They might as well classify this as "Mostly Episodic."

THE ANIMATION was pretty good. It was smooth and very strange half the time. Don't know how to describe it, but it was definitely different on the ocassion. I had no complaints about it throughout.

THE SOUND was hit or miss. The voice acting fit the characters and was well done for the type of characters. The intro song is very catchy and every outro song is different, so you kind of get something new every episode. It won't win any awards for top notch sound or voicings, but it wasn't annoying or intolerable.

THE CHARACTERS...What a bunch of special people we have here. Let's introduce them.

Ririchiyo has a sharp tongue and always says the opposite of what she means most of the time. Due to her being mean most of the time, she realizes and tries to be nice to people which turns disasterous mostly.

Miketsukami is Ririchiyo's SS agent and is...more or less...obsessed with Ririchiyo. It definitely borders being beyond creepy and weird. Nonetheless, he is a very calm and smiley person throughout.

Rensho is lazy and is mostly a chill person.

Nobara is a lesbian who has a SERIOUS obsession with asking and trying to get in the girl's pants no matter what. She also is very badass when needed though. She's definitely a wild one.

Karuta loves food. That's pretty much it. No persona except a bored and sleepy tone that loves to eat food.

Watanuki is supossed to be a delinquent, but fails and slips up by doing proper, nice things. He acts tough, but still manages to get picked on.

Natsume wears bunny ears and is honestly, probably the weirdest character in the show. I don't know how to describe him other than being crazy happy and just downright silly all the time.

All these characters together is honestly really funny half the time. On their own, not so much. The only thing I have to complain about, though, is the fact you know nothing about where these people came from or what they are. They are just there.

OVERALL Inu x Boku SS wasn't a terrible anime. It was more on the lines of average. No more, no less. There were parts that made me laugh and there were parts that I almost fell asleep at. I really wish they would have made the series longer and explained more about the Youkai and maybe some of the other characters, but I guess I had to settle for an average tale about things I don't know anything about going about their little shenanigans together.

Flint879 says...

I have been told that before. I'm not really much of a manga reader myself, but I have read the ocassional here and there. I will have to agree that this anime didn't cover a whole lot, but therefore, I haven't read the manga. I imagine it would definitely shed some light on the story and so forth, but I stand by my review haha. It never seems as though this anime gets anywhere.

Jan 17, 2014
Jaggz says...

I started watching this animation due to a summation I read about it. I know that sort of ruins the story, but it lets me know if it's what I'm looking for. I was looking for something a little dark, with some comedy, but also love. From the summation I read this show was to be it. However the anime only covered the first 3 chapters of a prologue - and in doing so never actually got started. There's a much deeper story that's hinted at in times during the show, however reading about it outside and comparing to the anime will just make you stare in disbelief. This almost feels like a show that was cut early and was meant to be a 26 ep.

To see what I mean just read the basic synopsis of the Plot on wikipedia. The anime ... well it was disappointing in how it didn't reach that story. :(

Dec 25, 2013