Fireaxe's avatar

Fireaxe

• Trois-Rivieres, Canada
  • Joined Dec 11, 2007

I seriously never really considered the fact that this latest season of the Hidamari Sketch franchise could be any better that the second season, Hidamari Sketch X 365. Nevertheless, that's exactly what happened. Overall it's still the same good ole slice-of-life  show with cute characters dealing with issues of their daily lifes, buying a new set of curtains, a trip to the hairdresser, losing your house key because you flushed it down the toilet (yeah really), X Hoshimittsu deals with various simple topics such as those with both style and substance. It could certainly sound terribly boring to anyone who isn't used to the genre, but if you enjoyed the prequels, you'll notice that they improved every single aspect of the show to make this third season much better than the first two.

Two new main characters make their appearance, and they fit quite nicely with the usual bunch. Nazuna, the quiet/insecure one, and Nazuna, the IT addict, are definitely unique and make for perfect juniors for Yuno and Miyako. Fans of the scandily-clad Yoshinoya-sensei will be glad to hear that she seems to have more screen time this time around. As a bonus, we even get a 2-years-in-the-past flashback for half an episode where we get to meet Hiro and Sae's sempais, Riri and Misato.

Both the animation and the music are here better than they ever were, but the very best things about this series are the OP and ED:

IMO, they're simply amazing and fit the show perfectly. At first, I wasn't too sure about the ED, I thought the song might have been a little too pop-rock'ish for the show, but when I saw the final animation for it I was sold instantly (at 1m30s of the video above). I can assure you that you will see those two songs on my lists for Best OP and Best ED for the 2010 A-P Awards. ;)

So basically, if you enjoyed the first season even just a little, give this new series a shot and you will be surprised by its quality.

9.5/10 animation