Fireaxe's avatar

Fireaxe

• Trois-Rivieres, Canada
  • Joined Dec 11, 2007

Originally posted on the forums on May 4th 2008

I tend to realize how awesome an anime is the second time around, so when I re-watched RahXephon The Motion Picture for the second time, it made me love the series/franchise even more. The characters and storyline are very unique (can we stop with the NGE comparisons plz? RahXephon is superior in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY).

I will just say that the movie adds a lot to the original series, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to someone who has yet to see the original. The action moves a bit too fast at times, and I'm sure you'll kinda get lost if you don't already know "what's going on". Still, a very good movie.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra:

Like I've said in a comment on ohtoriakio's review of the movie, RahXephon the Motion Picture really is a complement to the original series and should be watched as such. If you haven't seen the series before getting into this movie, the odd editing job will most likely and the complexity of the story will most likely be fatal. The scenarists here take for granted that you already know the major elements of the story, so they don't bother explaining every little detail.

Animation:

Lots of shots (even whole scenes) were simply recycled from the original series. It's a shame but then again it emphasizes the fact that this movie is meant to be a complement to the series. Some of the news scenes are very pretty to look at, and the new designs for young-Haruka were a pretty nice touch.

Sound:

Not much to say here, except that the soundtrack is above average. The theme song by Maaya Sakamoto (tune the rainbow) is wonderful though, I just love her voice.

This was, imo, the strongest element of the original series. This time around, the cast was shrinked but the core is still there. Haruka has always been one of my all-time favourites so I might be biased when I say 9 /10. Pardon me. :P

8.5/10 story
6.5/10 animation
8.5/10 sound
9.5/10 characters
8.8/10 overall

ohtoriakio says...

Decent job but I wish you went into detail on a few things more :) I still think this movie does not do the awesome series justice and I hope noone catches this before the seires! And I also very much prefer this to Evangelion! :) So my fellow French speaker, aimes-tu Les Chevaliers Du Zodiaque?

Oct 5, 2009