EroGod

Aoi Bungaku Series

26 JAN
2012

From the creators of Death Note, Madhouse Inc. presents you with an a morbid adaptation of morbid classical Japanese texts. If you don't expect any saccharine, energetic, high-pitched intro songs, and you don't expect any happy endings you may enjoy this. It is very tragic and a little gory at times. They aren't the best stories I've ever heard of, but they were written by classical Japanese authors, so it has a bit more cultural insight than the average Japanese animation.

I loved the host of the show. Before each episode he does a brief introduction with a little bit of background information. And his creepiness matches the creepiness of the series quite well.

The animation quality is amazing and highly original. There is a particularly memorable parade scene in the beginning of the 11th episode: The Spider's Thread (Kumo no Ito) by Ryuunosuke  Akutagawa. It has extremely colorful creatures and/or humans dressed festively with all of the impact of a Miyazaki film. The main character(Kandata) in The Spider's Thread is  very memorable. The voice acting for his character was excellent and the craziness conveyed was very convincing.

It's not epic on the scale of a Miyazaki film, but for a shorter series with(I'm sure) an incredibly smaller budget, it is superb. I really like the character design. It's one of the more realistic, anatomically correct body designs; which I always can appreciate in contrast to some of the more deformed, chibi, no-nosed, big-eyed characters I've seen in other shows.

Other Anime Reviews by EroGod