ElyOfIce's avatar

ElyOfIce

• A wonderful and magical place.
  • Joined May 4, 2012

Sailor Moon

Nov 12, 2012

Sailor Moon, the godmother of all Maho Shojo manga and puny old me is the first to review it? How the heck does something like this happen?

Anyone who is not familiar with the story of Usagi and the Sailor Soldiers should get off Anime Planet. Now. Your presence is not desired here. Shoo with all your weeabooness.

But anyway let’s get right into the review shall we?

Story: Sailor Moon follows a basic Maho Shojo story line. A young, average girl (and in this case a young extremely lazy girl) is introduced to a talking cat named Luna who tells her she has been selected to be Sailor Moon. There are five others like her that she must find the mysterious moon princess who will then aid them on their mission to save planet earth.

What makes Sailor Moon so down right likeable is the character development and extremely intelligent story line. As said before Usagi is an extremely lazy girl in the beginning of the story and a massive crybaby. But during the course of the story she begins to accept her role as a Sailor Solider and becomes a true leader. One of the great things about this story is the moral of how responsibility can change us, either for the worst or better. Another great thing about this manga is how Naoko Takeuchi always seems to know exactly what she is going to write. There have been no filler chapters at all throughout this manga and each new arch pulls no punches about getting straight to the point. But it is done in a smooth way, nothing feels choppy at all. Overall excellent!

Art: I have never been one for art reviews and I am afraid my review won’t do Naoko justice. Naoko’s art work is simple, but fitting for the feel of the story. Nothing is over the top in terms of cuteness, which is great because it shows that shojo mangas can have intelligence to and not contain images that will give male eyes cancer. Overall in one word, wonderful!

Characters: There were some characters I loved to love and some that I loved to hate. But for this manga that is an acceptable thing. Many mangas who make the mistake of bad characterization miss the fact that certain characters are just down right fun to hate. And when you have characters you feel no emotions towards at all, it sucks all the fun of the story right down the drain. Sailor Moon was made entertaining because of its huge cast of very likeable and sometimes not so much characters.  And never do they feel like cardboard cutouts to the plot, they all serve a purpose and begin to grow along with the story just like Usagi.

Overall: Sailor Moon is da bomb, read it because it is good for your soul.

9.5/10 characters