EdtheRadical's avatar

• Joined Mar 25, 2009
  • ? / ?

Natsume Yuujinchou Shi

Apr 25, 2012

The first 3 seasons of the Natsume Yuujinchou series sowed many seeds from which to develop the story and characters. All of us have secrets that can sometimes make us feel alone in this world. There are somethings that the rest of the world won't or simply can't understand. Can you truly have friends who don't know important things about you? As Natsume gets more involved with the world of Youkai this questions are explored.

The series continues to follow a slow-paced episodic style. The biggest success of this season, has to be its ability to balance stories about interesting Youkai with stories about Natsume's growth as a character.

The standard of animation follows the previous seasons. There a range of interesting character drawings, nice backgrounds and occasional action scenes. It is largely flawless but nothing out of the ordinary. Nonetheless, its a joy for the eys to watch.

The sound track is approapriate, with a nice OP and ED. The voice acting is also flawless.

Character development is arguably one of the greatest strenghts of this show. Natsume is continually tested and grows as a person. However, there are many other well rounded interesting characters we learn more about during this season. The characters are often asked to make decisions with no right or wrong answer. Although some Youkai are simply evil, we most characters are an interesting shades of grey.

Overall

Its rare for Anime to go beyond 2 seasons and maitain such a high quality. However the fourth season of Natsume has proven to be the best so far. This is largely due to character and story development in the earlier seasons. Nonetheless, this has been one the most enjoyale series I've watched recently and I feel there is still potential for another great season of Natsume Yujinchou.