default avatar

• Joined May 9, 2011
  • ? / ?

Sasameki Koto

May 11, 2011

Sasameki KotoThis anime is centered around the one-sided love that Sumika Murasame has on her best friend Ushio Kazama, who is openly into girls. The problem lies in the fact Kazama only likes "cute girls" and tall, athletic, and overall masculine Sumika does not fit the profile whatsoever. Chaos ensues as Sumika tries first, to ignore her feelings for her best friend by helping her find "a cute girlfriend" to trying to make herself more cute and girly in order to gain Kazama's affection. Throw unexspected plot twists, amuzing character interaction, and vague love triangles into the mix, and it makes Sasameki Koto a pretty entertaining anime.

My main problem however lies in how the series was concluded. The 13 episodes were a bit slow paced, and while the more-than-friend relationship between Simika and Kazama managed to heat up a bit towards the final episodes, the series ended on a boring and disappointing note. I found myself pushing myself through episodes 11 and 12 just so I could see Simika and Kazama FINALLY get together in the last episode (13) where the traditional, predictable fairly tail ending we all know and love is absent. It is clear at the end of the series the Sumika and Kazama did not confess their (apparent) feelings for each other, and continued onward with their best-friends-forever unsatisfying relationship.

For someone that is a girlxgirl fan looking for something light and somewhat entertaining to watch, Sasameki Koto is a good choice. However, those looking for a fast paced, passionate romance between girls, I recommend looking elsewhere.