DuskFey's avatar

DuskFey

• two steps past the edge of your reality
  • Joined Oct 20, 2009

Tokyo Mew Mew

Feb 16, 2012

Anime in 200 Words: Tokyo Mew Mew

Premise: Five teenage girls have their DNA mixed with that of endangered species and gain their powers. Together, the girls fight to protect humanity, love, and mew aqua from a group of aliens who ruined their own world.

Disclaimer: I watched Mew Mew Power. The 4Kids dub is different enough from the original that I should tell you which I’m reviewing. Keep that in mind.

Magical Girl: I like these powers: they’re cute, and fun, even if the weapons don’t make much sense with the original animal. (Castanets + porpoise = what exactly?) They’re very shiny and fun to watch.

Themes: Friendship, teamwork, love, and... environmental protection. The last one is there because the show focuses on endangered animals, but at least it’s not overwhelming. It’s pretty much what you’d expect to find in a mahou shoujo anime.

Transformations: I like them, because it puts emphasis on the animal features without making me wonder whether or not this show is actually made for young girls.

Overall: Mew Mew Power wants to be Sailor Moon. It’s an episodic magical girl show, with everything you expect to see: monsters, villains, transformations, catch phrases, shiny attacks, and teamwork.

7.5/10 story