DuskFey's avatar

DuskFey

• two steps past the edge of your reality
  • Joined Oct 20, 2009

Kamen Tantei

Feb 2, 2012

Manga in 200 Words: Kamen Tantei

Premise: A pair of high school students who love mysteries team up to write them. Everything seems normal at first, but once a strange man shows up claiming to be their protagonist, the lines between fiction and reality blur.

Reality: It’s a fuzzy concept in this series. I’ve read it all, and I’m still not certain that there ISN’T some strange man following them around occasionally. I prefer to think that this is just meant to illustrate the close bond between authors and the stories that they write.

Taro Suzuki: I like how Taro gets new powers as they’re being written, because it’s funny to have a poor kid typing frantically so that he doesn’t get killed by the situation. With that being said, I HATE deus ex machina, so I am torn on this point.

The Detective Bar: I love this place: it’s pretty much the best part of the manga. Many detective characters have gathered together in this old, dark bar to drink and discuss the hardships of being controlled by authors.

Overall: Kamen Tantei is hard to rate. On one hand, there are things that I loved (like the bar), but on the other, it’s just not that gripping. You can pass this one by.