DuskFey's avatar

DuskFey

• two steps past the edge of your reality
  • Joined Oct 20, 2009

Kieli

Feb 2, 2012

Manga in 200 Words: Kieli

Premise: A young woman befriends an immortal being and a soldier’s ghost who has possessed a portable radio. Together, the group travels to the place where the soldier died, so that he might find peace.

Mood: This is a strange manga: it’s got a post-apocalyptic vibe to it, because of the war that took place before our story began, elements of drama and romance, and some mild philosophic moments. Think of it as a story about something beautiful being born in a harsh world, and you’ll be close.

Characters: I like them. They are simple and downplayed instead of exaggerated or strictly archetypal. It’s good to see more realistic personalities in unrealistic beings. (Harvey is my favorite; I love the hint of mystery!)

The Undying: This is one of the strong points of the manga. People often start messing with power that they can’t handle because the short term rewards seem valuable enough. The drama here is quite nice.

Overall: Kieli is really different from a lot of the shoujo manga that I’ve read (that’s a good thing). Darkness blends with light well in this short series, and I think it’s definitely worth a look.

6.5/10 art