DuskFey's avatar

DuskFey

• two steps past the edge of your reality
  • Joined Oct 20, 2009

Rizelmine

Feb 2, 2012

Manga in 200 Words: Rizelmine

Premise: An ordinary teenage boy comes home from school one day to learn that his parents have married him off to a twelve-year old girl that he’s never met. He can’t get out of the arranged marriage because the omnipotent government has ordered and paid for all of it.

Lolitas: There’s no question about it: Rizel is definitely cute. The problem is, I’m not a Lolita fan, and seeing kids in adult(ish) situations is weird for me. Still, at least she’s cute perky and not remarkably annoying perky.

Protomen: I read Rizelmine today, and I’m still confused by these guys. Were they created? Were they discovered? How old are they? I suppose that the real question is: does it even matter? That’s a problem for me.

The Adults: Tomori’s parents and teachers have all been completely bought out by the government. One wonders if greed is the trait that everyone wants the kids to learn, but at least it’s fairly subtle.

Overall: Rizelmine is one volume long, and it’s cute. As shoujo manga go, this isn’t anywhere near the best that I’ve read, but at least it’s not the worst. It’s worth a look.

3.5/10 story