DuskFey's avatar

DuskFey

• two steps past the edge of your reality
  • Joined Oct 20, 2009

Akira

Feb 2, 2012

Anime in 200 Words: Akira

Disclaimer: I know that this is one of the classics, a veritable must-see. I just didn’t like it. Most people do, so take this review for what it’s worth.

Premise: A bunch of teenagers ride around on their motorcycles and two of them get ridiculously strong powers which they use to fight a huge battle over right and wrong, kind of. (I know that this is vague, but it’s been a while.)

Art: This is petty, I know it is, but the test subject kids are absolutely hideous. I can’t stand it, and it really did end up distracting me from the rest of the movie. Ugh.

Conflict: While I am usually a fan of two similar people being drawn in different directions or best friends being pulled into a war, because it creates tension and drama, I just really didn’t connect with this battle. One of the fighters is clearly insane, so I have no sympathy for him. Without sympathy for both parties, there’s no crisis about them fighting, and without that, it’s just violence.

Overall: Akira was not my favorite film, and I honestly don’t even dislike it. More than anything, I’m apathetic.

5.5/10 sound