DuskFey's avatar

DuskFey

• two steps past the edge of your reality
  • Joined Oct 20, 2009

Anime in 200 Words: Dragon Ball Movie 3: Mystical Adventure

Premise: This movie is a reinterpretation of the second World Martial Arts Tournament and the repeating quest for the dragon balls, but unlike the other three Dragon Ball movies, it’s successful!

Required Watching: I suggest you watch through the second martial arts tournament, because knowing who Chiaotzu and Tien Shinhan really are is nice when viewing this movie.

Canon Issues: Chiaotzu isn’t royal and he never held a tournament. Beyond that, the World Martial Arts Tournament was never related to the dragon balls; they were always alternating arcs!

Redeeming Qualities: This movie actually took things like the Crane Hermit’s manipulative nature and the friendship between Tien and Chiaotzu into account when making the film. Instead of being a disastrous retelling, this movie seems more like a “what if?” scenario.

Problems: There are two inherent weaknesses in this film. One, it’s a spin-off movie, and two, it’s altering the canon plot.

Overall: I watched Dragon Ball before Mystical Adventure, so the score is probably a bit lower than it would have been if I had only watched this movie. Still, everything considered, Mystical Adventure is as entertaining as an average anime.

5.5/10 overall

Kaorichaos says...

Thanks for the dragon ball movie reviews :/ I hate it when they just recap everything differently so it's nice to know ahead of time. ^^

Nov 8, 2010