DuskFey's avatar

DuskFey

• two steps past the edge of your reality
  • Joined Oct 20, 2009

Gaba Kawa

Sep 3, 2010

Manga in 200 Words: Gaba Kawa

Premise: Young demons are sent down to cause problems for humans and thus increase their powers. Mayhem is likely to add a power, but kindness? It’s not a great idea if you’re a creature of darkness, but what’s a girl in love supposed to do?

Art: Typical shoujo art with smooth and simple character designs. I enjoy the eyes more than usual because they have great depth and shine.

Magic: The power system really works well for me. Gaining powers by being vile and losing them by being compassionate makes a lot of sense for demons. The individual powers gained or lost didn’t always make sense to me, but the overall mood was fine.

Relationships: The introduction of spirits into the world makes things more complicated, but wonderfully so. Having a spirit offer to take over the boy you like opens up some new options for you, if you don’t think too hard about it.

Drama: Retsu’s solution made sense to me, but what do I know. The solution they end up using, however, rather confuses me.

Overall: It’s entertaining, but I definitely would have rated Gaba Kawa higher if I understood the ending.

6.5/10 story