DuskFey's avatar

DuskFey

• two steps past the edge of your reality
  • Joined Oct 20, 2009

Beauty Pop

Feb 16, 2013

Manga in 200 Words: Beauty Pop

Premise: A club of teen boys with various cosmetic abilities gives makeovers to girls at their high school, but trouble starts when an apathetic girl named Kiri proves to be one of the most talented hair stylists around.

Audience: Girls. It’s romance, humor, and fashion.

Love Triangle: It takes a while to develop, and some might argue that Beauty Pop is more a reverse harem, but I like the triangle that emerges late in the series. Granted, I shipped the loser, but that’s ok.

Characters: Most of them are over the top, but that’s part of the charm of the situation. It’s a pretty similar dynamic to that in Ouran High School Host Club, as far as I can tell.

Makeovers: I have no idea if the “three legendary cuts” are real (They all seem terribly inefficient to me.), but it’s a nice idea that helps to show what levels various stylists are at. The transformations are pretty good too.

Overall: I’m not really a makeover kind of person- or a slice of life person, for that matter- but Beauty Pop is cute. I really liked the ending, and I would read it again.

5.5/10 art