DuskFey's avatar

DuskFey

• two steps past the edge of your reality
  • Joined Oct 20, 2009

Angelic Layer

Feb 16, 2013

Anime in 200 Words: Angelic Layer

Premise: A young girl discovers an amazing game and with the help offered by a crazy stranger, she joins the game herself. Misaki is determined to be the best.

Disclaimer: I read the manga before I watched this. Everything I say here is colored by my prior review.

Training: The deuces perform complicated dance routines with their angels, and I actually like it because it strengthens timing and coordination.

Challenges: There still aren’t any. Misaki is defeated by a kindergartener once, and never loses again. I still hate how absurdly fast she learns this game.

Love Square: Why is this even in here?! *sigh* Regardless, it’s handled fairly well, though it’s a touch underdeveloped for my taste.

Main Point of Contention: Off the layer, Misaki is an idiot. A good-natured one, but she still possesses all of the classic characteristics of a dense protagonist. On the layer, at the very end of each battle, Misaki has a flash of genius, does something brilliant, and wins! This is too unrealistic for me; I can’t accept this character.

Overall: Angelic Layer isn’t a horrible anime and it has good points, but I still don’t recommend it.

5.5/10 overall