Doggiedoodle

Strawberry Marshmallow

27 DEC
2011

To be honest, I strongly disklike Moe characters and lolicons. In my opinion, an anime can live and prosper without it. However, in a few cases, it is rare that moe actually works in an anime. This is why I'm reviewing Ichigo Mashimaro. The premise of the show is that a twenty-one-year-old college student named Nobue lives with her younger sister Chika in the same house. Nobue is a smoker, and often asks for money from her younger sister. They live next door to their obnoxious friend Miu, who is mostly used for comic relief in the show. Anyway, two more girls are involved in the plot: Matsuri, a shy girl with glasses, and Ana, a wealthy girl from Cornswall, England. She is fluent in Japanese, however, she does not want to throw her English heritage down the gutter, and feigns on not knowing Japanese. Matsuri and Ana are also often the center of Nobue's lolicon craves. Often when they are involved, Miu would get jealous and would often try to get Nobue's attention. However, the plot isn't really that grand, and would typically seem that it is just another of your common slice-of life animes. And thus, for story, I give it an 8/10.

For the animation, it isn't groundbreaking, and is  standard. However, I must say that the animation does help to provide a cutesy feel to the show. The characters all look rather adorable, and the scenery's also pretty well drawn. For animation I give it a 7/10.

For starters, the sounds are pleasant. My favorite types of sounds is the music itself. I absolutely fell in love with the opening theme and it is also rather hard to get it out of your head. And also look up the characters' image songs, they are pretty decent. I give the sound 9/10.

Now for the characters. I have absolutely no hateful comments for any of the characters. Everyone, except for Miu. Have you ever had a friend whom you considered annoying and you don't really want to hang out with, but unfortunately you do anyway? Miu would be that friend. While being cute, she was annoying, and never knew when to shut up. She acts like a jerkass to her other friends, and was just plain stupid. The most despicable thing she did was to try to break Matsuri's belief in Santa by telling her that he didn't exist, and she also made fun of Ana's named Coppola. I mean what a b***ch! Another one of my least favorite characters is the teacher that kept telling Suzaku to go out into the hall, even though he wasn't doing anything wrong in the first place. I was happy that he finally went into the hall instead. So I love every character except these two. Therefore I give the characters 8/10.

Overall, Strawberry Marshmallow is a very out going moe anime. It has great characters, great comedy, great music, and lastly heart. I absolutely recommend it to anyone as their first anime, or if you just love moe. Some episodes are on YouTube. So if you're searching for an anime to watch, please type this in. I assure you that you will not regret it! 8/10!

Other Anime Reviews by Doggiedoodle