default avatar

Doggiedoodle

• Joined Sep 11, 2011
  • ? / ?

I hated Rei. Now, before you flag me, no, I did not read the visual novel it was based off of. My review is generally on the anime. Now, Higurashi (the first two seasons) in my opinion is one of the most epic animes of all time, second to Dragon Ball. The storytelling was great, and in my opinion was faithful to the VN (again, I did not read the VN, so don't complain to me). And, I believed that it should've ended after the finale of Kai, because the endles cycle of murders was resolved, and everyone could now go on with their lives. However, they make a five episode OVA named Higurashi Na Naku Koro Ni Rei. Now, I think that the word means ''light," but I'm not so sure. In the first episode of Rei, it takes place at a community pool. WTF, right? Anyway, Keiichi gets swimming trunks from a store that allegedly give him the power to make women fall in love with him. He then fantasizes about his friends, and... it's disturbing. So, the girls learn that if the trunks stay on Keiichi for too long, he'll fall in love with himself. So they try to get their friend out of this. And Rena talks about wanting to see his... furry seal (crickets chirping). So anyway, they try to get help from their former nemesis Takano, who appeared to be wearing a whorish  swimsuit. Rika promises to let her into the shrine if she helps them to defeat Keiichi. Then they get help from their teacher Sonozaki who was enraged when she thought that Keiichi made fun of her favorite dish curry. They then get help from Hanyuu, and lastly Shion who brings her taser to the pool. Who the hell does that?! Before they could succeed, a group called the Soul Brothers come to Keiichi's aid. They include: Jirou, Tomitake, and Ooshi. But, Mion turns them against him, and try to take his trunks. Eventually, his trunks fall off, and all is well. The first episode sucked! The last episode was okay, though. Rena accidentally ingests an item called magatama, which she falls in love with the person holding the other piece. Tomitake and Takano end up competing over her. But, overall Rei was crap. Please don't watch it.

5.5/10 overall