DjGopher's avatar

DjGopher

• Los Angeles
  • Joined Dec 8, 2012

Approximate Reading Time: 1.5 minutes

This review is significantly limited as it is solely for the OVA. To see my review on the TV Series, click here. :)

This OVA is an alternate ending, and I liked this ending far better than the one provided by the TV Series. As a show that already distracted from itself time and time again, repeatedly wrote itself into holes, and seemed to include things merely because its fans wanted them (which is a big no-no!), the original ending was way too cliché. The OVA is designed to undo the last thirty or so seconds of the final episode, replacing it with a more realistic, and slightly more depressing ending.

The only changes I'm making to this review as opposed to the original series are for Story, Characters, and Sound.

Story; Adaptation of Original Plot: 8/10

The story was interesting, in my opinion. There are no fruitless endeavors or outright stupid schemes, as there were in the TV Series, and it sets itself up for what will at least be an interesting watch if continued.

Sounds and Musics: 5/10

Music was, for the most part, nonexistent. This isn't really a problem as it was so short, so it shouldn't lose any points, but it shouldn't gain any either. For that reason, it sits flat as 5/10.

Characters; Character Development: 9/10

I think they did a very good job of portraying Otonashi after losing a loved one; he is much like how he appeared in flashback during the TV Series, though he has a new soft side that came through his experiences with the old cast. The only other significant character, a non-NPC classmate who exclaims his confusion about the realm during class, seemed to be interesting and a bit reminiscent of Otonashi himself.

Overall: 6.5/10

The low-ish score isn't really just dropped by the music score, but since the OVA was so short, it's impossible not to factor in biases from the TV Series. I do think it had a slightly more logical and genuine vibe, though, and it is a definite must-watch for anyone who has watched Angel Beats!.

Thanks for reading!