DavidWP

Black Rock Shooter TV

3 AUG
2013

Black Rock Shooter is 8 episodes long, an incredibly short anime, but I spent nearly all of the anime terribly confused and only when it reached episode 8 did everything sort of make sense, but it's too late anime, the damage has been done.

The anime seemed to be terribly confused as to what it wanted to be: did it want to be a science fiction anime with alot of fighting? A school life anime that focuses on these mentally unstable school girls? It couldn't make it's mind, so it decided to be both, even though it hardly makes sense. For a fight scene to work I have to get invested with what they are fighting about, if I have no idea who these characters are and what they are fighting for/about, why should I care? I'm just watching this lovely animated fight scene but I have no idea why I should care. It's a shame because the actually school life stuff, with these characters slowly becoming more and more insane was actally very intresting, but when this gets intercutted with fight scenes I just have no idea what's going on.

The science fiction world that Black Rock Shooter is on doesn't really make any sense either, I was terribly confused during the anime as to wheather this was another dimension or just a dream that Mato was having, because she kept waking up. Also the 'characters' with really silly names like 'Chariot', 'Strength' and 'Black Gold Saw' in that dimension may have really cool character designs, but they have nothing else going for them.

Black Rock Shooter may be a character, but she doesn't have character.

More in video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAqKwYHJbGs

Other Anime Reviews by DavidWP