DarkDollmaker's avatar

• Joined Jan 11, 2012
  • ? / F

Time Stranger Kyoko

Apr 24, 2012

Story: I usually enjoy manga by Arina Tanemura, and I did kind of like this one, but the story was rushed and it uses the 'I knew all along thing' thing way too many times, and many times becomes extremely improbable, with a sweet but kind of disappointing ending. I liked it, but not nearly as much as most of her other works

Art: I always have and always will love Arina Tanemura's artwork. A little generic in some ways, maybe, but beautiful nonetheless. Admittedly, I prefer her recent style (examples in Gentlemen's Alliance Cross) to her older style, which Time Stranger Kyoko is drawn in, but it's still cute.

Characters: Extremely generic. Tomboyish princess who doesn't want her duties? Used a thousand times. Temperamental teenage guy who lost almost his entire village/family? Also used a thousand times. *coughSasukecough* Eccentric father? Common. Dead mother? Even more common. But I still liked them. As generic as they were, aside from some improbable moments that they all had, I found them charming, if not believable. Though I wish several other characters had recieved more attention.

Overall: all in all, it's an okay story, though I think Arina made it up as she went along. She could have  been a lot more persistent and made a really good story out of the plot devices and concepts provided. But she didn't and it was unsatisfying. But it's still fairly cute, and I liked it enough to buy it. But unless if you're willing to deal with all of it's flaws, I wouldn't suggest it.